If you love the savory, umami flavor of miso, you’re going to love this recipe for Air Fryer Cod. This recipe is prepared in the air fryer, so it is super easy to master. You will have perfectly flaky cod in no time! It's one of my favorite air fryer recipes.
I love that this air fryer fish dish is so low maintenance. Your part only takes about 5 minutes of effort. Aside from that, you will just need a little time to let your fish marinade, and then a little time in the air fryer. It makes it so easy to prepare other sides like rice or veggies!
Why You'll Love this Air Fryer Fish Recipe Miso Cod
• Ditch the Dishes – I love cooking, but dishes not so much. There is nothing like preparing a delicious meal, only to be stuck with a sink full of dishes afterward. This recipe only requires one bowl, and it's made crispy air fryer.
• Simple Ingredients – You likely have most of these ingredients on hand, and you can count the rest on one! This recipe comes together with just 5 simple ingredients that are easy to find and work with.
Ingredients For Air Fryer Cod Fish
- Cod – Black Cod is a great choice for healthy dinners. It is low in fat, and high in protein, omega-3s, and vitamin B12. If you don’t have access to good quality cod, you can substitute haddock, if you must a wild caught salmon would do as well.
- Sesame Oil – Sesame oil is anti-inflammatory, and it is high in antioxidants. It adds a really nice flavor note to a dish, so I don’t recommend substituting any other oil in its place.
- Sugar – Cod itself is mild in flavor, with a slight sweetness. The marinade really helps to bring out these flavors. There isn’t enough sugar in this to make it syrupy sweet, so it is still a great choice for health conscious cooks.
- Miso – Miso paste has such a yummy flavor to it! It is also great for your gut health. There are a few different kinds of miso paste. It mostly comes down to preference. You will likely want white miso paste, which has a more delicate flavor than red miso, but if you prefer red miso, you can use that instead. Dietary concerns may also play a role in your selection. Most miso is gluten free, but some is made using barley or rye, which contain gluten.
- Soy Sauce – Soy sauce brings this marinade together and complements the miso perfectly. It adds the necessary saltiness to the dish, as well. If you want your cod to be gluten free, you can use tamari or coconut aminos instead.
How to make Air Fryer Miso Cod
1. Start by whisking together the sesame oil, sugar, miso paste and soy sauce.
2. Gently toss the fish in the sauce, evenly, then marinate for 15-20 minutes covered in the fridge.
3. Fill air fryer basket with the filets making sure to not over crowd the fish.
4. Air fry at 390F for 10-12 minutes. Let cool for a minute before removing from air fryer basket to prevent sticking.
5. Enjoy warm with veggies or rice.
Step by Step Instructions
First, you will need to prepare your marinade! This will of course add all the flavor to your fish. Whisk your sesame oil, sugar, miso paste, and soy sauce together in a mixing bowl.
Now you are ready to add your fish to the bowl. Toss the fish gently in the sauce, so that all 3 filets are evenly coated. Cover your bowl and place it in the refrigerator to marinate for 15-20 minutes. Do not leave your fish in the marinade for too long, or it will result in chewy, overcooked cod.
Once your cod is done marinating, you are ready to cook! Place your filets in the air fryer basket. Space them out to avoid overcrowding.
Cook your cod in the air fryer at 390F for 10-12 minutes. Allow it to cool in the basket for a minute or two, to prevent the fish from sticking and breaking apart during removal.
That’s it! Serve your air fryer miso cod warm with a side of rice or veggies.
- Save your leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat leftover miso cod in the air fryer at 375F for 4 minutes.
- This cod is so simple and easy, but it looks fancy. If you want to up your plate appeal, try garnishing with sesame seeds, sliced jalapeno, chopped green onion, or a honey sriracha drizzle.
Cod should have an internal temperature of 140-145 Farenheight
n general, you should not place anything especially wet in the air fryer. The batter will drip off. You can coat your battered fish in breadcrumbs maybe panko or flour, or you can try a recipe for fish that is not battered, like this miso cod recipe! I've also created a batter using panko / flour and created a fish and chips similar to fryer chicken or air fryer chicken.•
You can cook frozen cod in the air fryer at 390F for 12-14 minutes. Keep in mind that your fish will marinate better if they are thawed or fresh. If you choose to prepare this recipe using frozen cod filets, I recommend serving a little extra sauce on the side, as the fish will not absorb as much flavor if frozen.
It depends on the type and size of the fish, but you can prepare 3 oz cod filets in the air fryer at 390 for 10-12 minutes.
Air frying cuts down on the fat and calories other fried foods have, making it a healthier and easier way to cook!
Air Fryer Cod
- 3 oz Cod Filets
- 2 tsp Sesame Oil
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 2 tbs Miso Paste
- 1.5 tbs Soy Sauce
- Start by whisking together the sesame oil, sugar, miso paste and soy sauce.
- Gently toss the fish in the sauce, evenly, then marinate for 15-20 minutes covered in the fridge.
- Fill air fryer basket with the filets making sure to not over crowd the fish.
- Air fry at 390F for 10-12 minutes. Let cool for a minute before removing from air fryer basket to prevent sticking.
- Enjoy warm with veggies or rice.
Leave a Reply