Packing lunches for your kids has been known as something of a daunting task. Here’s a fun and quick way to change things up a bit. This chicken tortilla wrap is easy to make and mess free for the kiddos, and is perfect for school lunch.
How often have you heard parents lament over the struggle between serving something healthy and somehow making it something their kids will actually eat? Add in cost concerns and the biggest factor – transportability – and it is really no surprise that this particular task is not one that most parents look forward to. I believe that there is a way we can have it all. Food should be enjoyable and fun, so I refuse to deduce mealtime to merely a challenge. So I made it my mission to craft a packable lunch that would be as fun for parents to make as it is for kids to eat. Enter the Chicken Nugget Tortilla Wrap. Anything with the words “chicken nugget” in the title is probably an easy sell for most kids, but on top of that, parents get to have a little fun playing with their food in what I like to call “tortilla origami.” And while this is a new technique, I promise that you will catch on quick and it will be super fast and easy!
Why You’ll Love These Chicken Tortilla Wrap
- Fast and Easy – In under 15 minutes, you will have 6 nugget wraps! So this recipe is cute and creative, but not time consuming. Once you get the hang of the technique, it will go even more quickly.
- Filled with Fun – Kids and adults alike will love that these wraps are filled with cheese and nuggets. This recipe is also easy to customize, so once you’ve mastered it, try filling your tortillas with your favorite lunchmChicken Nugget Tortilla Wraps
Ingredients For Tortilla Wrap
- Tortillas – This recipe calls for 10” flour tortillas. Since you are cutting the tortillas in half, it is important to make sure you get the larger size tortillas, or they won’t be able to hold all of your filling. Flour tortillas are best for folding. Spinach works as well. Avoid corn tortillas, which tend to crack and break with too much handling.
- Mayonnaise – If you or your little ones don’t like mayonnaise, you could swap this with a drizzle of whatever sauce you enjoy. Barbeque or ranch would make good substitutes!
- Cheese – Choose a slice of your favorite cheese to fill your wrap! American and cheddar are great options to complement the pickle and nugget combo.
- Pickles – Pickles will add a wonderful little crunch and contrast to the wraps. Keep in mind that these are smaller in size, so a large sliced pickle won’t work well. Try dill or bread and butter pickle chips that will fit nicely in your tortilla.
- Chicken Nuggets – You will need one cooked nugget per wrap. Prepare them however you prefer. These wraps can be served warm or packed in lunchboxes and eaten at room temperature, so the nugget being hot is not important – just that it is cooked for food safety purposes.
How to make Chicken Wrap
1. Cut tortillas in half, down the middle.
2. Drizzle mayo on both halves.
3. Then fold the round outer part of the tortilla over about a ½ inch to make both sides parallel.
4. On one side of the tortilla, layer your cheese, chicken nugget and pickles. Take the filled end of the tortilla and fold the tortilla over to create a triangle. Repeat.
5. Fold the open part of the tortilla inward like a pocket. Grill or toast over stove top.
Step by Step Instructions
First let’s cut each of your tortillas in half and separate. Next, drizzle your mayonnaise evenly onto each of your tortillas. You want to get some across the entire side of the tortilla, as it will help to hold it in place when you fold.
Take the round side of your tortilla half, and fold it ½ inch in, so that both the top and bottom of your tortilla half have flat edges. There will still be two round sides.
Next, it is time to put your fillings in the wrap. On the left, round end of your tortilla, layer your fillings on top of one another. You will probably need to break your cheese up into 2-4 squares in order to make it fit well. Place your pickle slices on top of the cheese, and then top with your chicken nugget.
Now, you are ready to fold your tortillas! Fold your bottom left corner inward and upward, to create a triangle.
Fold it over again, until it is completely wrapped.
Next, fold the top of your cone inward to help seal the wrap in place.
To finish, cook your tortilla wraps on a panini press, or in a skillet on the stovetop on medium heat, using a gentle amount of pressure for 3-4 minutes, or until the tortilla has slightly browned.
Allow your wraps to cool before serving. Enjoy warm, or at room temperature. Pack in a lunch box or serve
- Chicken nugget wraps can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- For a pizza themed alternative, swap the chicken and pickle for pepperoni and peppers and serve with marinara for dipping
- This is a great opportunity to get kids in the kitchen. Make these wraps the night before, and invite your little one to help assemble their own for lunch the next day!
- Ham and cheese would work too!
- This is a great recipe that goes well with pasta salad.
- Try adding cooked chicken breast and a little ranch dressing for ideas for adults.
Try chocolate chips and peanut butter! If cooking immediately, banana and peanut butter are great too. Got left over rotisserie chicken, you can use it as a filling or make a chicken salad and use that inside.
If you wish to make and freeze extra, instead of pressing on the stovetop, wrap your filled tortilla wraps in foil and store in an airtight freezer bag for up to 3 months. When you are ready to enjoy, thaw and then brown in your sandwich press.
Serve with a side salad, fruits, nuts, yogurt, potato salad, or tortilla chips and salsa.
Chicken wraps can be a great, healthy lunch choice. Tortillas are a lower calorie alternative to white sandwich bread, and chicken and cheese are both full of protein. If you wish to make this recipe healthier, you can always swap the mayonnaise for a healthier sauce alternative, and swap the breaded chicken nuggets for grilled chicken. Add in a little bit of your favorite veggies if you like!
Looking for more packable lunch great ideas? Try these:
Tried this Tortilla wrap recipe and love it? Please leave me a comment and rating below. Feel free to also tag me, I love to see your creations and sharing them. For more inspiration follow us on Instagram Or like us on Facebook
Tortilla Wrap Recipe
- 3 10” Flour Tortilla’s
- 3 tbs Mayo
- 6 Cheese Slices
- 12 Pickle Slices
- 6 Chicken Nuggets
- Cut tortillas in half, down the middle.
- Drizzle mayo on both halves.
- Then fold the round outer part of the tortilla over about a ½ inch to make both sides parallel.
- On one side of the tortilla, layer your cheese, chicken nugget and pickles.
- Take the filled end of the tortilla and fold the tortilla over to create a triangle. Fold cut edge toward the folded edge.
- Continue to fold the tortilla until its wrapped. Your wrap should be a triangle cone shape.
- Fold the open part of the tortilla inward and press the wrap firmly, solidifying its shape.
- Cook the wrap on a sand which press or stove top with gentle pressure for 3-4 minutes or until tortilla begins to brown and its contents are warm. Let cool and serve warm or pack for lunches.