One of my favorite dishes is lomo saltado. It's a Peruvian with the most tasty spices served with fries and a tasty spicy green sauce. I've created my version of it as a one sheet pan and it's now in our weekly rounds. This easy sheet pan lomo saltado is so so good!
Buying takeout is expensive! We love buying form our local Peruvian restaurant, but with a family of four, it's becoming very pricey. Especially since my boys eat so much. Now i can make this fast and easy at home. So what exactly is lomo saltado? It's marinated beef served with onions, tomato, french fries and rice. Next to ceviche, I think it's one of the Peruvian dishes you definitely must try.
Why You'll Love This Lomo Saltado Recipe
- One Pan - One and done! This recipe is cooked in a baking sheet and comes out right from the oven ready to eat.
- Tasty and Not Fried- This is a great recipe because it's not incredibly fatty. It's baked, not fried and still tastes delicious.
How to Make Easy Lomo Saltado
First, preheat oven to 375F & line a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
Next, you'll want to combine the beef strips, red onions, olive oil, cumin, soy sauce, vinegar, cilantro and minced garlic in a bowl to marinade for 30 minutes. I did add aji amarillo in the recipe because it truly makes this recipe authentic. It is however spicy, depending on the brand.
Ají Amarillo is a sweet yellow chili pepper and is in almost every Peruvian dish. It is a fresh and sweet flavor, with spice. Season with salt and pepper to taste if desired. If you're looking for a measurement I'd go with ¼ tsp. pepper and ½ tsp. salt. Again, the reason being it should be to taste because different amarillo brands produce different amount of spiciness.
Afterward, spread marinated beef onto baking sheet, then add onion and add tomato along the prepared baking sheet evenly. Bake for 10 minutes. If you don't want to bake this you can also stir fry it with a little oil. You'd have to cook your french fries in high heat oil, for a crispy fry.
Once ten minutes have passed, remove baking sheet and pour out liquid from sheet pan. Then add frozen french fries and bake for another 20-25 minutes or until fries begin to crisp. (Alternatively, you can air fry fries, separately, for an extra crispy option or if the fries are thick slices.)
To prepare the sauce combine the cilantro, jalapenos, garlic, lime juice, olive oil, salt and mayo in a blender or food processor. Pulse until sauce becomes smooth. Chill for 15 minutes or serve room temp.
It should look like this when its done.
Serve sauce alongside warm beef dish with white rice and extra cilantro if desired. I hope you enjoy his easy lomo saltado recipe!
- Vegetarian options: you can use mushroom in lieu of beef if desired
- Air fry your fries for a crispier experience.
- If you want to make everything go faster, I'd prep all your ingredients the night before. Add spices in a small bowl, and cut up your vegetables. I also don't see any harm marinating your meat beforehand.
- Buy microwavable rice to speed up the cooking process.
- Can you freeze these?
- This recipe is best fresh. There are no preservatives in the recipe and the beef tends to change texture if frozen.
- How long will it keep in the fridge?
- You can happily keep them in the fridge for 3 days. Either reheat it in pan for microwave it for a few seconds
- What is the most famous peruvian dish?
- I'm no expert, but when I asked my Peruvian friends what I need to try first, it's ceviche and lomo saltado.
The nutrition information
Easy Lomo Saltado
- 1 lb Sirloin Strip Steak cut into strips (may sub Tri- Tip or Beef Tenderloin)
- ¼ cup Cilantro chopped
- 2 tbs Olive Oil
- 2 tbs Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Cumin
- ½ cup Red Onion large cut
- 2 tbs Vinegar
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 tsp Aji Amarillo Paste optional, spicy
- 3 Tomatoes large cut
- 2 cups Frozen French Fries
- Salt & Pepper TT
Green Aji Sauce
- 1 cup cilantro packed
- 1-2 jalepenos
- 1 garlic cove
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 ½ tsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ c mayonaisse
- Preheat oven to 375F & line a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Combine the beef strips, red onions, olive oil, cumin, soy sauce, vinegar, cilantro and minced garlic in a bowl to marinade for 30 minutes.
- Spread marinated beef mixture and large cut tomatoes along the prepared baking sheet evenly. Bake for 10 minutes.
- After ten minutes remove baking sheet and pour out liquid from sheet pan. Then add frozen fries and bake for another 20-25 minutes or until fries begin to crisp. (Alternatively, can air fry fries, separately, for an extra crispy option)
- To prepare the sauce combine the cilantro, jalapenos, garlic, lime juice, olive oil, salt and mayo in a blender or food processor. Pulse until sauce becomes smooth. Chill for 15 minutes or serve room temp.
- Serve sauce alongside warm beef dish with rice and extra cilantro if desired.
Keep leftovers refrigerated for up three days and sauce for up to 4 days.
May freeze for up to 3 months.
Green sauce adapted from Epicurious.