Keeping an egg on a piece of toast is never easy with toddlers. One part falls to the ground, the other lands on their head. You feel me? After months of getting my youngest to eat a breakfast sandwich, I threw in the towel. At least for now anyway.
No toddlers? Not to worry - both my husband and I devoured these! These sunshine egg pies are perfect for breakfast. If you cook it long enough it would work for on the go car rides too! You can even scramble the egg if you choose prior to filling the rectangle.
Trying to get your family to eat more veggies? Rest assured, there's a one in these. I get comments all the time about how their kids would pick out vegetables off anything and everything. This one is nearly invisible and is also hidden under an egg. I mean peel a zucchini and it's pretty much white. Just saying. The entire dish takes less than 10 minutes to make so it's definitely doable on weekday mornings! You can even cook the night before and throw it in a convection oven for fast heating.
These egg pies are customizable too! Add any seasoning you like. You can go bland, salt and pepper, or our favorite is Everything but the Bagel Seasoning . If you're adventurous you can try other seasonings as well. If you're looking for a no-salt seasoning we often use 21 Seasoning Salute as well!
I'm huge on offering foods in its natural state and colors. You can leave a little peel on the zucchini and then grate it. It will look like something below. Showing the green vegetable helps kids' become more adventurous when it comes to eating. Have them take a bite of the hidden kind and a bite of the other. They'll soon realize it tastes no different. I know, i know It's hard to convince a toddler sometimes, but it's always good to try. It takes some effort, but in the long run it's paid off for us.
P.S. I completely understand it may be impossible for some of your eaters, but it's just a suggestion! I personally, do lots of hidden veggie recipes for my readers, but I always try to always serve the hidden foods in its natural state.
Sunshine Egg PiesPrint
- Crescent rolls store bought in the tube - we love the organic ones, but any will do
- Zucchini peeled and grated
- Parmesan cheese shredded
- Seasoning of choice - we used Everything but the Bagel Sesame Blend
- Preheat at 400F
- Roll out the dough on parchment paper. Depending on what brand you use you may or may not need paper
- Pinch perforations together in each square to seal the dough
- Form rectangles and fold up edges about ½ inch around each rectangle
- Sprinkle grated zucchini
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese
- Crack an egg in each rectangle
- Top with seasoning of choice (we used Everything but the Bagel Sesame Bland)
- Bake for 8-10 minutes depending on how cooked you'd like your egg yolk
- Note: Depending on the size of the egg and rectangle, you may have to reduce the egg white to prevent spillage
Note: To be safe, cook the eggs well done for kids. The shot below was my portion, lol.
Save it for later and pin it!
Looking for more breakfast ideas? Try these Mummy Egg Boats
** If you decide to make a purchase through the affiliate link, Amazon will pay me a very small commission for it. This does not cost you anything additional. These commissions help to keep the rest of my content free. Thank you!