Fried foods are always a craving at my house. But we all know how unhealthy it is for you.As usual, I came up with a way to make a family favorite a little healthier. These veggie cheese poppers are packed with vegetables and is a better alternative to your restaurant bought mozzarella stick. It's an easy way to get veggies in!
It's not deep fried, and you can also bake them at 375F for about 15-20 minutes. Just make sure you grease your muffin tin and spray olive oil over them before baking. I personally prefer browning in a pan with a little olive oil. The texture is great for younger kids too!
And when you bite into it, you get a pleasant surprise. The kids at them all!
- ½ sweet potato peeled and steamed
- ½ c. broccoli measured raw, steamed
- ¼ c. baby carrots measured raw, steamed
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- 1 egg
- ½ c. bread crumbs
- String cheese
- 2 tbs. Olive oil
- Steam all vegetables
- Using a blender, blend vegetables, egg, and seasonings until smooth
- Mix in bread crumbs. Note: depending on breadcrumbs used, you may have to add a little more until pasty consistency
- Cut string cheeses into one inch pieces
- Using a cooking scooper, place sweet potato mixture onto palm of hand
- Add cut string cheese in the middle and form into a ball
- In a pan, add about 2 tbs. of olive oil
- Brown on all sides, on LOW heat