If you can’t decide between cake and ice cream, I have great news for you – you don’t have to! This simple cake recipe is made with ice cream. You can use any flavor of ice cream to customize the finished product, and you can top or garnish it with whatever you like. It is so fun, and the possibilities are endless.
This recipe is super easy. It only requires 2 ingredients and a few simple steps. I love to have recipes like this in my back pocket for those times when I’m craving cake, or need to whip up a quick dessert, but I don’t feel like measuring out a bunch of ingredients.
Why You'll Love This Simple Cake Recipe
- Easy as 1, 2 – This recipe requires only 2 simple ingredients to make. The prep time is only 5 minutes! It makes shopping, preparation, and cleanup all a breeze, especially for a last minute dessert.
- Tasty Cake – Not only is this recipe easy it is also so delicious. You can use any flavor of ice cream to dream up your own unique cake creation. And if you are feeling fancy, you can top your cake with a glaze, powdered sugar, or whatever fun garnishes you like.
Ingredients For 2 Ingredient Ice Cream Cake
- Ice Cream – You will need 3 cups of ice cream for this recipe. You can use whatever flavor you want. For this recipe, I used birthday cake swirl flavor, to really emphasize the ‘cake meets ice cream’ aspect of the recipe.
- Flour – It is important that you use self-rising flour, or your cake will not turn into cake. If you only have gluten-free or all-purpose flour, you can turn them into self-rising flour before you begin.
- Optional Garnishes – If you can dream it, you can do it. Garnish your cake with whatever sounds lovely to you. Some great ideas include powdered sugar, glaze, fresh berries, whipped cream or sprinkles.
How To Make an Ice Cream Cake
1. Preheat oven 350F and grease a loaf pan.
2. In a mixing bowl fold together the softened ice cream and flour. Do not over mix but make sure ingredients are well incorporated.
3. Pour into a prepared loaf pan, ¾ of the way and bake for 30-40 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness and let cool before unpanning. Garnish as desired and enjoy warm or room temp.
Bonus Glaze Recipe
1 cup Powdered Sugar
1 tbs Vanilla Extract
2 tbs Milk of choice
Whisk all ingredients together and pour over cake. If too dry add milk 1 tbs at a time. If too wet add powdered sugar 1 tbs at a time.
Step by Step Instructions
To begin, preheat your oven to 350 F and grease your pan. I recommend a loaf pan for this recipe, as the consistency will be more like a pound cake than a birthday cake. Next, make your batter. Add your softened ice cream and your self-rising flour to a mixing bowl and gently fold together. Make sure that your ice cream and flour are completely mixed, but take care not to overmix them.
Pour your batter into your loaf pan so that it is ¾ full. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until done. You can check the center of your loaf with a toothpick to determine when it is cooked through.
Allow your ice cream cake to cool completely before removing it from the pan. Glaze the top of your loaf, or serve with whipped cream or fruit if desired. Enjoy warm or at room temperature!
- Your ice cream cake should last up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- To make your own self rising flour, whisk together 1 cup of flour, 1 ½ tsp baking powder, and ¼ tsp salt, then measure out as much flour as you need. For this recipe you will need to double that and measure out 2 cups. I recommend making a larger batch and saving the extras for next time you need self-rising flour.
- If you wish to add a glaze to your ice cream cake, you can use the recipe in the note section.
Since ice cream already contains milk, sugar, and sometimes eggs it has most of what you need to make cake. By finishing it out with self-rising flour, you will be adding the necessary ingredients to make it rise!
Once ice cream has been allowed to reach room temperature, it can be a hotbed of bacteria. To avoid potential food poisoning, you should not eat melted ice cream, even if it has been refrozen. This recipe is a great way to make use of ice cream that has just melted. If making this using frozen ice cream, I recommend just letting it soften rather than melting it entirely.
Ice cream bread is sweet and fluffy, but it has a delicate sweetness. It is nice because you can enjoy it as is for a light treat, or you can top it with a glaze or icing, whipped cream, or dare I say more ice cream(?!) if you want something a little bit on the sweeter side!
Simple Cake Recipe
- 3 cups Any Flavor Ice Cream I used Birthday Cake Swirl, softened
- 2 cups Self-Rising Flour
- Optional Garnish: Powdered Sugar Fresh Berries, Whipped Cream, Sprinkles, Vanilla Glaze, Etc.)
- Preheat oven 350F and grease a loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl fold together the softened ice cream and flour. Do not over mix but make sure ingredients are well incorporated.
- Pout into a prepared loaf pan, ¾ of the way and bake for 30-40 minutes. Check with a tooth pick for doneness and let cool before unpanning. Garnish as desired and enjoy warm or room temp.
1 cup Powdered Sugar
1 tbs Vanilla Extract
2 tbs Milk of choice Whisk all ingredients together and pour over cake. If too dry add milk 1 tbs at a time. If too wet add powdered sugar 1 tbs at a time.
Best kept refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Note: I have not tested dairy free ice cream, so I can't guarantee the same results, but will try soon!
Looking for more easy dessert ideas? Try these:
No Bake Chocolate Chip Dough Bites
Tried this Simple Cake recipe and love it? Please leave me a comment and rating below. Feel free to also tag me, I love to see your creations and sharing them. For more inspiration follow us on Instagram Or like us on Facebook
Leave a Reply