This single serve cinnamon roll in a mug is a great way to satiate your sweet tooth in a pinch. It’s made in the microwave in less than 2 minutes. Yes, I’m serious. I hope you try this microwave cinnamon roll because its quick and easy! It also makes for a great kids dessert or breakfast!
Traditional cinnamon rolls take time. This microwavable dessert is so much more simple than your traditional cinnamon roll. Which of course has its time and place, but when you’re in a hurry, this is a good fix.
Why You’ll Love This Microwave Cinnamon Roll
- Fast – this is probably the fastest pastry I’ve ever created. Just a few minutes prep time and just 90 seconds in the microwave.
- Minimal Ingredients – 5 ingredients for the dough portion and just a few more for the icing if desired.
- Single Serve – it’s always nice to have a portion controlled dessert. In a rush we use store bought cinnamon rolls, however when say making it just for myself or my husband, this is is a great option. The store rolls yield 6-7 rolls and they don’t keep very well. This one is one and done!
Ingredients For No Yeast Cinnamon Rolls
- Flour – flour is the main ingredient in the dough. You can use a gluten free blend if you wish.
- Baking powder – this is a rising agent and this is what makes dough expand and rise. You can’t do without this.
- Milk of Choice – milk gives this recipe a little moisture. The milk softens, contributes moisture, and adds color and flavor to this roll. It also gives the dough strength and body, as well as adds tenderness and flavor. You may substitute with almond milk.
- Vanilla Extract – adds aroma to the rolls.
- Apple sauce – gives a little bit of sweetness and most importantly it keeps the roll moist. Best of all it has no saturated fats like oil does. If you don’t have applesauce try vegetable oil in a 1:1 substitution.
How to make This Single Serve Dessert
- In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder, vanilla, applesauce and 3 tablespoons of milk
- Pat out the dough into a rectangle on a floured surface.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon and coconut oil and spread on the dough.
- Roll up the dough horizontally and gently slide into the mug.
- Microwave for 90 seconds, and place back into the microwave in 15 increments until cooked.
Step by Step Instructions For Cinnamon Roll In A Mug
First, we will make our dough. In a bowl, mix the all purpose flour, baking powder, vanilla, applesauce and 3 tablespoons of milk until well combined.
Next, when a dough is formed, remove it from the bowl and place it on a lightly floured surface. Then you’ll want to form it into a rectangular shape, this is in preparation of rolling the dough.
Next up is the filling of the cinnamon roll. In a small bowl make the filling by combining the brown sugar and cinnamon and coconut oil. Once combined, you’ll want to add the mixture to the dough. Just spread along the rectangle evenly with a spatula or spoon.
Then, it’s time to shape your dough into a cinnamon roll. Roll up the dough horizontally then gently slide it into the mug.
You’re almost there! Place the mug into the microwave for 90 seconds cooking time and check for doneness. If the dough still seems a little wet, try to put it back in the microwave for 15 more seconds at a time. It’s important to check in 15 second increments, because just like conventional ovens, microwaves are not created equal. Some are much stronger than others and the last thing you want is a hard or overcooked cinnamon roll.
Once it’s ready, enjoy warm with syrup, nut butter, jelly or a simple glaze. If you want to make a glaze, all you need to do is combine powdered sugar and some milk of choice. It’s truly that easy. Hopefully you like this, because I’m going to be making more microwavable mug cakes. But here’s one last look at this cinnamon roll, not bad for a quick craving fix right?
Cook’s Tips For This Mug Recipe
- Don’t overcook it. As mentioned above, microwaves have different power strengths and you don’t want a tough hard cinnamon roll. Check it ever 10-15 seconds in increments.
- If you want to make this vegan, just swap the regular milk for almond milk (that’s the one I tried) or other plant based milk.
- Instead of the icing, you may spread some melted butter on top and/or sprinkle some brown sugar.
- What can I use instead of brown sugar?
- Coconut sugar should work, and it does have a lower glycemic index than brown sugar. Essentially it takes longer for your body to metabolize, therefore not spiking your sugar up quickly.
- What can I use instead of the glaze?
- Sprinkle a little powdered sugar on top of the cooked roll. You can also add some chocolate chips. Even jam is a great topping for this recipe.
- Does this recipe really not need eggs?
- Yes! This small dessert doesn’t require eggs.
- Can you freeze these?
- I don’t suggest it. This recipe is best fresh.
- How long will it keep in the fridge?
- I prefer this eaten be right away. Once its reheated again back into the microwave it will become overcooked and hard.
- Can I use gluten free flour?
- I don’t believe it will turn out very well, with the gluten free varieties.
- Why do I need baking powder?
- It is a rising agent and makes the flour rise. You definitely don’t want to skip this ingredient for this roll.
Cinnamon Roll In A Mug Recipe
For Cinnamon Rolls
- ½ cup Flour or Gluten Free Blend
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 3 tbs Milk of Choice
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½ tbs Apple Sauce
For The Filling
- 1 tbs Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tbs Sugar of Choice
- 2 tbs Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp Milk of Choice
- Start by making mixing the flour, baking powder, vanilla, apple sauce and 3 tbs of milk until well combined.
- When a dough is formed pat out into a rectangle onto a lightly floured surface.
- In a small bowl make the filling by combining the sugar, cinnamon and coconut oil. Then spread along the rectangle evenly.
- Roll up dough horizontally and gently slide into a mug.
- Microwave for 90 seconds and check for doneness. If dough still seems a little wet try 15 more seconds at a time. Enjoy warm and enjoy with syrup, nut butter, jelly or a simple glaze.
Looking for more easy breakfast ideas, dessert, or more traditional cinnamon rolls? Try these:
- No Yeast Cinnamon Rolls
- Cinnamon Rolls with Apple Pie Filling
- Tasty Vegan Chocolate Cake
- Yogurt Bark
- Chocolate Hummus
Tried this peanut butter cookie recipe and love it? Please leave me a comment and rating below. Feel free to also tag me, I love to see your creations and share them. For more inspiration follow us on Instagram Or like us on Facebook