Few things in life are better than chocolate cake. Chocolate cake is one of those things people mention when listing life’s simple pleasures. But did you know you can make it without using any animal products? This chocolate cake recipe is a hit for vegans and non-vegans alike! This recipe is based off a depression-era technique of replacing eggs with vinegar and baking soda. When I make this recipe, I like to imagine that I’m channeling my inner grandma. Whether you’re vegan or not, it feels good to be thrifty.Give this tasty vegan chocolate cake recipe a whirl!
Another great thing about this recipe is the consistency of this cake. It is light and airy, so that after you eat a serving, you don’t experience that sluggish ‘I can’t believe I ate all that cake’ sort of feeling. The cake itself is so tasty it doesn’t need to be served with frosting. In the recipe below, I top the cake with powdered sugar and berries, and it is perfect!
Why You'll Love This Easy Chocolate Cake Recipe
• Entirely Eggless – Whether you follow a plant-based diet, have an egg allergy, or are simply out of eggs, this recipe doesn’t require any eggs. This swap actually results in a less spongy, and more cloud-like cake consistency that I love!
• Instantly Impressive – This recipe is so easy to whip up, but your family won’t know that. When they taste this from-scratch chocolate cake, prepare for praise (and an empty cake pan.)
How to Make This Tasty Vegan Dessert
First, preheat your oven to 350. Spray an 8” or 9” round cake pan with non-stick spary.
Next, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
Once your dry ingredients are mixed, make a well in the center of the bowl.
Pour oil, fee or water, vanilla, and vinegar into the well. Gently stir the bowl until cake batter is thoroughly combined.
Fill the prepared cake pan with your batter. Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Once your cake has cooled, garnish with powdered sugar, berries, or your favorite topping. Enjoy!
• If using coconut oil in this dish, be sure it is completely melted, and that your coffee or water is room temperature.
• This cake is delicious on its own, but you can have a lot of fun topping it with whatever is in your pantry. Some other fun topping ideas include: melted peanut butter, caramel, whipped cream, melted chocolate chips, strawberry jam, or any kind of frosting.
Tasty Vegan Chocolate Cake
- 1 ½ cup flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil may sub melted coconut oil
- 1 cup coffee may sub water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare 8” or 9” round cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Start by whisking together all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour all of the liquids in. Gently stir together until thoroughly combined.
- Fill the prepared cake pan and bake for 18-22 minutes or until done. Once cool, garnish with a light dusting of powdered sugar, berries or any favorite topping and enjoy.