My oldest son recently discovered corn dogs at Disneyland. I considered it a fun treat for him to have. Problem is, he wanted two and then when we got home, he wanted more! I decided to make my own and made them healthier by baking it. I also chose no nitrate hot dogs and organic corn bread mix.
Furthermore, did you know corn dogs are choking hazards? By cutting it thinly or in small pieces, you can make it safer. There is a way to cut it (lengthwise), that you can easily google.
Hope you enjoy this recipe. Remember if you don’t have a donut pan, you can always make corn dog muffins. Also, for those of you not wanting to buy box cornbread mix (recipe below homemade mix), here’s a homemade recipe.
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbs agave nectar (you can use sugar, or honey)
- 3 tbs melted unsalted butter
- 1 tsp sour cream
- 1 egg
- 2 hot dogs (we used nitrate free organic)
- Olive oil spray
1. Preheat oven to 375F
2. In a bowl whisk butter, agave, and egg
3. In the same bowl add milk, sour cream, salt and baking soda and mix
4. Add flour and corn meal last and combine well.
- 1 Box Cornbread mix we used organic
- Ingredients per box instructions
- 1-2 hot dogs sliced thin slices or small tiny pieces
- Cooking spray
- Per box instructions, mix corn bread mix with recommended ingredients
- Grease pan
- Either fold in hot dog in mix or save to place on top
- Fill pan with corn bread mix, top with hot dog
- Bake per box instructions
- Serve with mustard and/or ketchup