Chewy, ooey gooey thick cookies! These are my absolute favorite. Now you can make them at home. These chewy chocolate chip cookies are incredible!
Chunky Chewy Chocolate Cookies are so so good! Sometimes you just a good old warm chocolate chip cookie!
Why You’ll Love This Thick Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- The Real Thing – Sometimes you need a cookie that has no substitutes and tastes just like something your grandma would make!
- Easy to Cook – Everyone has 20 minutes in their day to whip these up! It’s also fun to make with the kiddos.
How to Make The Best Big Fat Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick spray. Prepare your ingredients.
Next, cream together the melted butter (slightly melted) and brown sugar and turbinado sugar until well blended.
Next beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk.
Then, in a separate mixing bowl, combine the flour baking powder and salt.
Start to fold the flour mixture into the sugar mixture until thoroughly combined.
Stir in chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon and then add in the walnuts. Stir these ingredients until just blended.
Now for the fun part! Scoop into even sized balls and place on prepared cookie sheets. If you want them extra large and thick I would suggest weighing them to about 6 oz. each. Don’t worry about a perfect mound shape for these!
Don’t skip this part! Refrigerate dough for 2 hours or freeze for 90 minutes. It’s very important not to skip this part because if you do you won’t get the thick cookie effect and instead it will spread and be flat.
Finally, bake for 9-12 minutes for medium sized cookies or 11-13 minutes for larger cookies. I like to bake them until edges are lightly toasted. Place on wire racks to cool completely or serve warm!
- Don’t forget to chill or freeze your dough!
- Why chill your cookie dough?
- The fat in the cookies are solidified when you chill cookie dough. By doing this, it prevents the spread of the cookie. Basically the fat in the chilled cookie dough takes longer to melt than room temperature fat.
- It affects the flavor! Chilling allows it to create a concentrated flavor. So so good!
- Can you freeze these?
- Yes! Dough can be frozen into portions ahead of time for 2 months. Just place into oven at 350 degrees F and bake like normal. Store in an airtight container on counter for a 7-10 days.
- How long will it keep in the fridge?
- You can happily keep them in the fridge for 3 days. But I personally like to leave them out. They’ll be eaten anyway in no time!
Thick Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ½ cup butter cubed
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup turbinado raw sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour white or whole wheat
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks or semisweet
- ½ cup walnuts optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick spray.
- Cream together the butter and both sugars.
- Next stir in egg, egg yolk and vanilla extract.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Start to fold the flour mixture into the sugar mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Scoop into even sized balls and place on baking sheet.
- Refrigerate dough for 2 hours or freeze for 90 minutes
- Bake for 9-12 minutes for medium sized cookies or 11-13 minutes for larger cookies.