This family friendly healthier take of chicken cordon bleu (which is normally fried) is incredibly tasty and is a family favorite. The traditional cordon bleu is great for grown ups, but sometimes It can be hard to eat for the little ones. This Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole takes only 20 minutes of cook time and everyone is happy!
I end up having to cut everything up for them and sometimes it's a little dry. This chicken cordon bleu casserole packs all the same flavor, but is easier to eat. It's the ultimate comfort food and is one of my favorite chicken recipes!
Family Friendly. Pasta, cheese and broccoli are perfect combinations for a tasty bite. My kids and husband love this dish, and I love it because it's easy and nutritious as well. It freezes well too so you can make a double batch and save it for later.
Why You'll Love This Easy Recipe
- Filling and Nutritious - I love this dish because it includes almost all the food groups. Just pair it with some fruit as dessert and it's a complete meal. It's also baked not fried, so it has less saturated fat.
- Affordable - The ingredients in this dish are easy to find and it's a great way to repurpose left over chicken. You won't even need a meat mallet, like the traditional chicken cordon bleu, since you'll be using shredded chicken!
Ingredients for Making the Recipe
- Egg noodles - are great for this dish, but you can also substitute it with fettuccini or linguine
- Rotisserie chicken - I like to use leftover shredded rotisserie chicken, but you can also roast some chicken or boil chicken and shred or cut it in small pieces.
- Swiss cheese - you may use another type of cheese, but ham really does pair with swiss cheese well.
- Ham - a great addition to this dish to give it extra flavor. It's also a signature ingredient for cordon bleu.
- Broccoli Florets - I love adding these greens to the dish. It adds a little extra crunch and texture to every bite.
- Sour Cream - has a tangy, tart taste and ads a rich thick creaminess to this recipe
- Dijon mustard - has a tangy, sharp, and strong flavor with a bit of spice and it adds flavor
- Cream of chicken - this ingredient not only adds flavor, but it also makes it extra creamy
- Breadcrumbs - bread crumbs adds texture to the recipe and also brings about the traditional cordon bleu flavors and textures.
- Parmesan cheese - adds flavor and cheesiness to the dish.
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray cooking spray on a dish.
- Cook egg noodles per box instructions.
- In the casserole dish, add chicken then top with swiss cheese.
- Next, sprinkle on chopped ham and broccoli florets.
- Then add cooked noodles on top
- Combine cream of chicken, sour cream and Dijon mustard in a bowl. Spread it across the layers of the dish.
- Top with parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Step by Step Instructions
First, prepare all your ingredients and preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Next, spray your baking dish with some cooking spray, melted butter, or brush with olive oil. Make sure this dish is oven safe. Next, cook the egg noodles according to package instruction. I would cook it al dente so it doesn't become overcooked in the baking process. Unless you like it super soft of course. Cook per box instructions as usual and drain. Set the pasta aside.
Now you'll want to start layering. First, add your shredded chicken breasts and swiss cheese slices onto your sprayed casserole dish. You may also use cheddar cheese if you prefer a milder cheese.
After this, sprinkle on chopped slices of ham and broccoli florets.
Then add cooked and drained noodles on top of the ham and broccoli.
Now, let's make this dish pop with a tasty sauce. In a small bowl combine the cream of chicken, sour cream and Dijon mustard.
When the sour cream and dijon mustard are mixed with other ingredients, it will look like this. Just mix it until well combined.
Then spread across the top of all layers in the casserole dish.
Next, you'll want to add what will eventually be the crunch to this dish. Top the mixture with parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs generously.
Now, it's time to bake it. Put it in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until breadcrumbs become toasted. Serve warm. Salt and Pepper to taste.
- This is a great way to use up leftover ham or rotisserie chicken. Just remember the flavor of your rotisserie chicken will reflect the flavor of the casserole. In other words, if you use teriyaki rotisserie chicken, you'll taste teriyaki. If you use barbecue flavored chicken, you may taste hints of barbeque as well! I like to use traditional roasted chicken, and sometimes Italian seasoned chicken is acceptable, but it really depends on the the seasoning used.
- You may use regular pasta if you wish.
- If your family likes a milder cheese than swiss, feel free to use it. You can use mozzarella or provolone if you wish so everyone in your family tastes are met.
- Please make sure your chicken is not overly dry. If you like you can also use shredded dark meat.
- Make this ahead of time and freeze in individual portions to make for an easy lunch meal.
- You can opt for lower fat options in your cheeses and sour cream ingredients.
Chicken cordon bleu actually comes from France. You may recognize it as a piece of breaded fried chicken with ham and swiss stuffed inside. This version as mentioned above is more family friendly for everyone to enjoy.
Yes, you can and it's great as a meal prep dish, just make sure it's double wrap to prevent freezer burn.
If baking the entire dish, you'll want to bake it covered with foil at 350° for about an hour. Then remove the foil and bake uncovered for another 15 minutes so the bread crumbs will crisp up. You may also bake it in smaller portions but it will definitely drop the reheating time tremendously.
Yes you can, but I really do prefer a casserole dish. You would need to line your baking sheet and have it be a deeper sheet to get the casserole thickness.
Looking for more easy dinner ideas? Try these:
Tried this Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole recipe and love it? Please leave me a comment and rating below. Feel free to also tag me, I love to see your creations and sharing them. For more inspiration follow us on Instagram Or like us on Facebook
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole Recipe
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 12 ounces rotisserie chicken shredded
- 6 slices swiss cheese
- 8 ounces sliced ham chopped
- 1 ½ cup broccoli florets chopped
- 12 ounces sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 10 ounces cream of chicken
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and prepare a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook noodles according to package instructions, drain and set aside.
- Layer prepared casserole dish with shredded chicken and then with swiss cheese slices.
- Next sprinkle on chopped ham and broccoli florets.
- Then add cooked and drained noodles atop.
- In a small bowl combine the cream of chicken, sour cream and Dijon mustard. Then spread across the top of all layers in the casserole dish.
- Top with parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs, then bake for 15-20 minutes or until breadcrumbs become toasted. Serve warm.