I don’t think I have ever met someone who didn’t love chicken parmesan. It has all the comfort food qualities of a pasta dish, but with the added elements of a juicy chicken filet and melty cheese. Whether you want to serve a dinner party entrée, or you have the midnight munchies, chicken parmesan always seems like a good choice. Ive made this into a healthy chicken parmesan.
Traditional chicken parmesan recipes are usually a bit indulgent, but this version is healthy enough to enjoy all the time. It doesn't have any bread crumbs or bread crumbs mixture. Plus, it all cooks in one pot, which saves you time and dishes!
Why You'll Love This Healthy Parmesan Chicken
- One Pot Wonder – My favorite thing about this recipe is that the entire thing cooks in one pot. It is so easy and low maintenance!
- Intentional Ingredients – This recipe uses healthier ingredients so that this dish is not only tasty but also healthful and lower in carbs than your traditional chicken parmesan.
Ingredients for Healthy Parmesan Chicken
- Chicken Thighs – Pick up about a pound and a half of boneless, skinless chicken thighs for this recipe. Skinless chicken breasts can work too but will be a bit drier.
- Avocado Oil – Avocado oil has a high smoke point, and it also aids in the absorption of nutrients, which makes it a great choice for frying! You can use olive oil, but it tends to have a lower heating point.
- Onion – You will need ¼ cup of diced onion, as well as ¼ teaspoon of onion powder to complete this recipe.
- Garlic – You will need both minced garlic, and garlic powder for this recipe. The powder seasons your chicken, while the minced garlic seasons the pasta.
- Spaghetti – This recipe calls for 8 ounces of spaghetti noodles. Break them in half before putting them into the pot.
- Pasta Sauce – Use 25 ounces of your favorite pasta sauce, or make your own if you want to further reduce sugar and sodium content
- Mozzarella – This recipe is so convenient because you simply melt the cheese on top of the finished dish. This will work best if you use sliced mozzarella. You will want enough to cover each piece of chicken.
- Parmesan – Of course, you cannot make chicken parmesan without parmesan! Measure out ¼ cup of shredded parmesan cheese for serving. If you have freshly grated parmesan, even better!
- Basil – You can forego the basil if you wish, but I love it. Fresh basil leaves add to the fragrance and presentation of the dish.
- Italian Herb Seasoning – Layer flavor into your dish by seasoning your chicken with Italian herbs. If you don’t have a jar of Italian seasoning, mix basil, oregano, rosemary, sage, and thyme.
- Salt Pepper – Of course you will need a little salt and pepper to season this dish.
How to Make It
- Add oil into a large pot and heat to medium-high.
- Mix all seasonings in a bowl. Season chicken on both sides.
- Brown chicken pieces on each side in the pot with the minced garlic and diced onion. It does not need to be fully cooked, just a quick brown. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add water, pasta sauce, and pasta. Be sure to break the noodles in half before adding. Then add chicken on top. Cover and simmer for 11-13 minutes
- Top each piece of chicken with a slice of mozzarella. Cover until melted. Add basil if desired.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese and serve.
First, heat a large pot over medium-high, and add your avocado oil. While your oil is heating, mix your seasonings, and then season your chicken. Make sure to get your seasonings on both sides of each piece.
Next, add your minced garlic, and diced onion to the pot. Add the chicken and brown it on both sides. You do not need to completely cook it through, as it will continue cooking in the later steps. Once you have browned your chicken, remove it from the pot and set aside.
Add 2 cups of water, your pasta sauce, and your pasta to the pot. Place your chicken on top of the pasta and cover your pot.
Simmer your pasta for 11-13 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked, and your noodles are the right consistency. Next, place a slice of mozzarella on top of each piece of chicken. Cover the pot again, and wait until your cheese melts.
Finally, after cooking garnish with basil and shredded parmesan cheese. Enjoy warm!
• Serve your healthy parmesan chicken with salad, crusty bread, or whole wheat pasta to complete the meal. You can also use zucchini noodles to make it even ore healthier.
• Your healthy parmesan chicken will last about 3 days in the refrigerator.
• For best results, use low moisture mozzarella cheese!
Serve your chicken parmesan with salad, garlic bread, roasted vegetables,
Traditional chicken parmesan offers nutrients, but with saturated fats and carbs. This recipe uses a few simple swaps to make it healthier. This is like healthy baked chicken without the breading.
As long as the chicken reaches an internal temperature of at least 165F, it is safe to serve. However, I recommend browning the chicken a little first, so that it has a little crisp on the outside. This will also lock in the juices to keep your meat tender.
Looking for more healthy chicken recipes? Try These:
If you have tried this chicken parm dinner recipe or any other recipe on my blog, then please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below! For more inspiration follow us on Instagram or like us on Facebook to find more healthy and easy family meals.
Healthy Chicken Parmesan
- 1 ½ lb chicken thighs skinless boneless
- 2 tbs avocado oil
- ¼ c. onion diced
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 8 oz spaghetti break in half
- 1.5 c water
- 25 oz pasta sauce
- mozzarella cheese sliced
- ¼ c Parmasean cheese shredded
- fresh basil
- Seasoning For Chicken
- 1 ¼ tsp Italian herb seasoning
- ¼ - ½ tsp salt to taste
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- Dash of Pepper
- Add oil into a large pot.
- Mix all seasonings in a bowl. Season chicken on both sides.
- Brown chicken pieces on each side in the pot. (Does not have to be fully cooked), remove from pot and set aside.
- Add water, pasta sauce, and pasta, making sure the pasta is broken in half. Then add chicken on top.
- Cover and simmer for 11-13 minutes
- Add mozzarella slice on top of each piece of chicken. Cover until melted. Add basil if desired.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese and serve
Leave a Reply