The holidays are officially here! I always have an eye out for great gift ideas. I like to give things that are thoughtful, useful, and personalized by me. Anything my kids can take part in is also a bonus. These hot chocolate spoons are one of my favorite homemade gifts! They’re cute and everyone loves them, plus I like to make a few extra for us to keep and enjoy as a family. When we are ready to enjoy a cup, we just heat a cup of milk and stir with the chocolate spoon.
This recipe makes the creamiest, dreamiest cup of cocoa, all without any added sugar (you can find chocolate chips with less sugar). I also love that it’s something my kids can help customize. Once the spoons are filled, I let my kids decorate them with sprinkles, crushed candy canes, or colorful icing. They love being a part of the gift making process and showing their creative sides. Since they get a hand in making them, these also make great gifts for teachers, babysitters, coaches, and other members of their ‘village.’
Why You’ll Love This Easy Chocolate Recipe
• Cute and Customized – These are great ‘extra’ gifts to have on hand, but they can definitely be customized to the recipient. You can have fun experimenting with different shaped sprinkles, crushed peppermints, or even a caramel drizzle.
• Fun to Keep – Keep a few for your family! Christmas eve isn’t complete without matching pajamas, a story or movie, and hot cocoa before bed. Kids will have fun getting to watch their milk turn chocolaty. Pro tip: even if you’re not a big cocoa drinker, save a few for yourself too, because these are phenomenal in coffee. Just brew a cup of coffee or a double shot of espresso, add half and half or milk, and stir for your very own homemade mocha!
How to Make This Best Chocolate Gift
First, you will want to make your chocolate ganache. Scald 1/3 cup of heavy cream. It will be ready when there is a small film of foam just begins to form. Pour onto ½ cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Wait for cream to melt the chocolate chips, and then stir in 1 tablespoon butter. Set aside.
Next, prepare the white chocolate ganache. Scaled ¼ cup heavy cream and pour onto ½ cup white chocolate chips. Once the cream has melted the white chocolate chips, stir in 1 tablespoon butter.
Place both bowls of ganache in the refrigerator to set for approximately 30-45 minutes. They will be ready when the ganache is firm, yet pliable.
Once set, scoop a small amount of ganache onto spoons. Place spoons in refrigerator for 5-10 minutes to chill.
In a separate, microwaveable bowl, combine coconut oil and 1-cup semi-sweet chocolate chips. Microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted and smooth. Do not overcook, as chocolate will burn easily.
Take each spoon and coat thoroughly with melted chocolate.
Decorate with sprinkles and candies while chocolate is still wet. Place onto a wire rack to dry. It is a good idea to place parchment paper under the rack, as excess chocolate will drip off.
Set in refrigerator until firm.
- If you really want to customize your spoons, you can try adding a few drops of flavored extracts or candy flavoring to the chocolate coating. (Add slowly – it doesn’t take much!) Raspberry, orange, and coconut are great choices. You can also add a small amount of instant espresso for the coffee lover in your life.
• Complete the gift by including the spoon with a cute mug, and filling it with a decorative baggie full of mini marshmallows, some coffee pods, or cookies or biscotti.
• How long will these last?
o Approximately 6 months if stored airtight, in a cool, dry environment.
Hot Chocolate Spoons
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 dozen spoons plasticware or flatware
- Various decorative sprinkles and candies
- Start by preparing the chocolate ganache. Scald the 1/3 cup of heavy cream and pour onto a ½ cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Allow for the warm cream to melt the chips and then stir in 1 tablespoon of butter.
- To prepare the white chocolate ganache, scald the ¼ cup of heavy cream and pour onto a ½ cup of white chocolate chips. Allow for the warm cream to melt e chips and then stir in 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Place both bowls of ganache in the refrigerator to set for approximately 30-45 minutes. Ganache should be firm yet pliable.
- Next, scoop a small amount of ganache filling the spoons. Then, place back into the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes to chill.
- Meanwhile, in a separate microwave-safe bowl, combine the coconut oil and 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Microwave for 15 second intervals, stirring each time, until melted.
- Once fully melted, take each spoon and coat with melted coconut oil/chocolate mixture thoroughly and evenly. Decorate with sprinkles and candies while the chocolate coating is still wet. Place back onto a wire rack, allowing for excess dripping, and set in the refrigerator until firm. Enjoy with friends and family.
Looking for more dessert recipes? Try these:
Tried this recipe and loved it? Leave a comment and rating below. For inspiration follow us on Instagram or like us on Facebook