Whether packaged or straight out off the stove, rice krispie treats have always been appealing to people of all ages! This healthier festive twist on the loveable treat will satisfy your crunchy cravings. Try these mummy peanut butter rice krispie treats today!
Finding an alternative to sugar can be a daunting task. Both us and our kiddos crave that sweet taste! But it is so hard to find a healthier version of our guilty pleasures. Do not despair, look no further. These crispy peanut butter mummies will scare away any fears of you not being able to enjoy your sweet snack!
Why You’ll Love This Halloween Party Recipe
- Familiarity- If you have made rice krispie treats before, this recipe should be a piece of cake! It has similar directions, you just get to use healthier ingredients.
- Festive & FUN– The design of these crispy treats will leave you wrapped up in the festivities! This sweet treat is fitting for the festival season, and so much fun to decorate either by yourself or with your family.
How to Make The Best Rice Krispie Treats
Start by preparing a 9 X 9 cooking pan with parchment paper and nonstick cooking spray. Set aside for your final mixture.
Then, in a food processor, PULSE together peanut butter, pitted dates, honey, and vanilla until your mixture reaches a smooth paste.
It will look like this.
Transfer the peanut butter paste into a large bowl and mix in both the shredded coconut and puffed millet cereal. If the paste is too dry, add in more peanut butter until you reached your desired paste consistency (who would complain about that!).
It’s time to get a little messy! With greased hands, evenly press the millet cereal and peanut butter mixture into prepared pan. Then, refrigerate for 20 minutes. This is a great step for the kiddos to get involved in, especially if you don’t want to get your hands dirty.
When chilled, take the cereal treats out of the pan by pulling up on the parchment paper. Cut the treats into 12 rectangles. Return the cut treats to the refrigerator while you prepare the white chocolate drizzle.
Here’s a pro tip for you: Keep those cereal treats cold! You do not want to deal with treats bending, snapping, or melting. Keeping them cold will allow them to maintain both their shape and their crunchy texture.
For the white chocolate drizzle, combine the white chocolate chips and coconut oil in a bowl. Heat it up in the microwave in 15 second increments. Be sure to stir the mixture each time. Do this until the chocolate is fully melted. It should be quite runny.
Take the treats out of the fridge and drizzle them with white chocolate or piping bag in order to create the mummified look. Finish it off with two candy eyeballs on each mummy. Again, this is another step you could include those kiddos in on! Best enjoyed chilled.
- Be sure to the peanut butter mixture is a true paste. You do not want to have any chunks in the mixture.
- Let the kids do the dirty work! Incorporate little hands in to help you with pressing down the millet cereal and peanut butter mixture, or decorating the treats at the very end. They may even do a better job than you!
- Stirring the white chocolate mixture in increments will help you to avoid burning your drizzle. Be sure to pay attention to the bottom and sides of the bowl because that is where it will burn first. Shorten the increments if necessary.
- Substitute options- Use a different nut butter if allergic to peanuts (i.e. sunflower seed butter)
- Can you freeze these?
- This recipe is best fresh, but can be frozen if necessary.
- How long will it keep in the fridge?
- You can keep this dish in the fridge for 3-4 days. They are best served fresh and
Tried these mummy peanut butter rice krispie treats recipe? Please leave a comment below!
Looking for more fun dessert ideas? Check these out:
Mummy Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- 2 cups peanut butter
- 1/3 cup dates pitted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 ½ cups puffed millet cereal or puffed rice cereal
- ½ cup shredded coconut unsweetened
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 package of candy eyeballs
- Start by preparing a 9”x 9” pan with parchment paper and nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse peanut butter, pitted dates, honey and vanilla until ingredients form a smooth paste.
- Transfer peanut butter paste into a large bowl and mix in the shredded coconut and puffed millet cereal. If too dry, add peanut butter until desired consistency.
- With greased hands, evenly press millet cereal and peanut butter mixture into the prepared pan. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- When chilled, take cereal treats out of pan and cut into 12 rectangles. Return to refrigerator while preparing the white chocolate drizzle.
- Combine white chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small bowl and microwave in 15 second increments, stirring each time, until chocolate is melted.
- Remove cereal treats from fridge and drizzle white chocolate with spoon or piping bag, creating a mummy.
- Finish by adding 2 candy eyeballs to each mummy. Best enjoyed within 3-4 days and kept chilled.