I'm really loving one pot recipes right now. Having less to dishes to clean is definitely my favorite! This one pot cheesy broccoli rice and chicken dish is a recipe your family will all love.
Having a dish with veggies, protein, carbohydrates is always a winner in my book! I don't think anyone can resist broccoli and cheese either. And well, rice and I have a very serious long term relationship.
Also, after a long day of work or being at home with the kids, you probably don't want to cook let alone clean so many dishes and pans. This is a one pot meal, making it so much easier to clean up.
So without further ado, here's how to make it.
First you'll want to add a little butter and olive oil in a pot. Add onion, carrots, salt and pepper and cook for 3-5 minutes.
Now you'll want to add the chicken and brown on both sides.
Add the rice and saute for 2-3 minutes until lightly toasted. Add the stock and deglaze the pan scraping up any bits that have tuck to the bottom.
When the stock comes to a boil, turn the heat down to low, cover ad cook for 15 minutes, Uncover rice and stir in broccoli, lemon juice, ¾ cup cheese and smooth everything out.
Top with remaining cheddar, cover and cook another 5-7 minutes until cheese is melted and broccoli is tender.
Voila! You're all done!
I love how this satisfies everyone in the family!
One Pot Cheesy Broccoli Chicken and Rice
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ large onion minced
- 2 carrots cut into coins (optional)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1.5 lbs. Chicken breast cut in 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups extra long grain rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 ½ cups broccoli florets
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ cups Mexican shredded cheese divided
- Melt butter and olive oil in dutch oven
- Add onion, carrots, salt and pepper, cook for 3-5 minutes
- Add chicken ad sear on all sides. Once chicken is lightly browned, add in rice and saute for 2-3 minutes, until lightly toasted
- Add the stock and deglaze the pan scraping up any bits that might have stuck to the bottom. When the stock comes to a boil, turn the heat down to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes
- Uncover rice and stir in broccoli, lemon juice, ¾ cup cheese, smooth everything out.
- Top with remaining cheddar, cover and cook another 5-7 minutes until cheese is melted and broccoli is tender
Looking for more one pot meals? Try this One Pot Mushroom Pasta