Finger foods are always a hit here especially in tater tot form! These broccoli tater tots are packed with green veggies and is a great alternative to your traditional tater tot. Have it ready for your family in 20 minutes or less!
When we first started our baby led weaning journey, I made this almost everyday. We still eat it today, 7 years later. This is a great way for new eaters to enjoy the flavors of vegetables but not have a super hard time chewing it. I did however offer steamed broccoli so they can experience the texture of a whole broccoli. To this day broccoli is still one of their favorite vegetables.
Traditional Tater Tots only have one veggie. You might as well get a bang for your buck when serving tater tots. Why not pack every bite with greens!? This is great for lunch boxes, snacks, or served as a main dish.
Why You’ll Love This Broccoli Cheese Patties Recipe
- Protein Rich – This has cheese and egg, creating a complete balanced meal.
- Veggie Packed – The green vegetable broccoli is included in this recipe. The green veggie is high in many nutrients, including fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K, iron and potassium. Broccoli also contains more protein than most other vegetables.
How to Make Broccoli Tater Tots
Here’s a pro tip for you: Use a cookie scooper! If you want to really speed up the process, grab a small cookie scooper and make patties instead. Just scoop and then use a spoon to flatten it out.
Finally, in a pan, add a little olive oil. You want to coat the pan nicely, but not deep fry the tots. These cook up pretty quickly so keep a close watch. Brown all sides and then serve.
Serve warm with your child’s favorite dipping sauce. It makes a great side dish or main dish.
Cook’s Tips For Making Broccoli Tater Tots
- Serve with a dipping sauce like ketchup.
- Don’t forget to squeeze out the moisture from the zucchini after grating, so your mixture won’t be too wet.
- A cookie scoop will save you time and keep your hands clean
- Vegetable options: grated carrots, chopped spinach.
- You may also bake these broccoli tots, preheat oven to 400 F and bake for a few minutes, but I highly suggest frying them.
- If you can’t find 21 Seasonings, just use garlic powder.
- Can you freeze these broccoli tots?
- This recipe is best fresh. There are no preservatives in the recipe and the patty tends to break down over time if frozen.
- How long will it keep in the fridge?
- You can happily keep them in the fridge for 3 days. Either reheat it in pan for a crispy texture or microwave it for a few seconds
- Are broccoli tater tots healthy?
- This recipe is a wonderful balance of vegetables, carbohydrates, fats, and protein.
Broccoli Tater Tots
- 1.5 C. steamed broccoli
- 1 egg
- 1/2 small zucchini grated
- 1/2 c. bread crumbs
- 1/4 c. cheddar cheese/Mexican cheese blend
- 1/4 tsp. 21 seasoning or garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Steam broccoli, or boil until soft.
- In a blender, add all ingredients and blend until pasty
- Next, form tater tot shapes with hands. You may also use a cookie scooper and spoon to form patties.
- In a pan, add just enough olive oil to coat the pan. Cook on medium, high heat and turn all sides until brown