My kids love pizza. Hence why I have a ton of pizza recipe variations! I would have to say it's a universal food because everyone loves pizza. I made this family favorite a little healthier and a little more guilt free. Nevertheless, it's still very tasty. These mini zucchini pizza bites recipe will certainly be a hit at your house in no time and is a great idea to curb those pizza cravings.
I mean, here's another look, just check out these bites, aren't they delicious looking?
Why You'll Love Zucchini PIzza Bites
- Low Carb - It's a great alternative to a regular pizza because it has no carbohydrates. One medium zucchini only has 6 grams of carbs.
- Veggie Packed - Zucchinis are cholesterol free, gluten free, and fat free. It's also high in antioxidants. Zucchinis are such a versatile vegetable. These days you can find them in noodle form made into pastas or even lasagna. Turning them into bite size pizza bites are my favorite however!
- Hidden Vegetable - If you remove the green peel, you might be able to make it into a sneaky vegetable. I know some kids can be picky, but I have yet to know of a kid who doesn't like pizza.
- Protein Rich - This recipe has cheese, eggs and pepperoni. It's packed with protein and even if you want to make it vegetarian it still has a a good amount of protein.
The zucchini vegetable itself is pretty much hidden with panko bread crumbs and cheese. Therefore, your kids may be more keen to trying it especially since it resembles a pizza. You can also cut the medallions thinner to hide more of the green. The next time I make these I'll try peeling more of the green for your picky eaters and recipe test. As always, in my opinion though, it's always good to present foods in their natural state and *not always hide them. My kids just devour these and love them.
These bites have protein, fiber, and iron in each bite. These pizza bites are also so fun to make with the kids. They are always wanting to help in the kitchen these days. They love assembling and frankly making a mess but it's all worth it! Depending on the cheese you use you can make this gluten free.
How to Make Zucchini Pizza Bites
First, you'll want to make sure you purchase a fairly large zucchini squash. That way you can add more toppings on them in a single layer. If you have a larger surface area you can add even more toppings. Cut the green veggie into ¼ inch slices. You can also make zucchini pizza boats and cut them vertically.
Second, prepare bowls for all the ingredients. You're essentially creating a dipping station. In bowl #1, combine the garlic salt, salt, pepper, and panko breadcrumbs. In bowl #2, pour your flour in. And finally bowl #3, you'll add your lightly beaten eggs.
Now for the fun part! At least for the kids anyway. Dredge each zucchini slice in flour first, then egg, then cover in panko crumbs on both sides. I give my oldest this duty, making sure to supervise him since there is raw egg.
- You can also use chopsticks or some tongs to make it a little more mess free.
- Get the kids involved, they'll be more willing to try what they've made. Besides that, it will double up as a thing to do for the kids to keep busy.
- Furthermore, due to the sharpness of real knives, I use safer knives for my kids. As a result, they can learn essential life skills.
- You may add pizza sauce before adding your cheese if you like tomato sauce.
- If you don't have a silicone sheet, you may use a prepared baking sheet.
- Feel free to sprinkle salt if you wish, or even some bell pepper as an extra topping.
Next, line your baking sheet with a non stick silicone sheet for easy cleanup. Bake for 20 minutes for at 400F. Then top each slice with shredded mozzarella cheese and mini pepperonis. You can keep this vegetarian and omit the pepperonis as well. You may add marinara sauce before adding your cheese, if you wish. Finally, bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and dinner is served.
Enjoy a zucchini bite as a snack or for lunch.
Mini Zucchini Pizza Bites
- 1 large Zucchini Squash
- ½ cup White Flour
- 2 Eggs, Beaten
- ¼ tsp Garlic Salt (optional)
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Ground Pepper
- 2 cups Panko Bread Crumbs
- ½ cup Mozzarella Cheese, Shredded
- 1 bag Mini Pepperonis
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut zucchinis into ¼ inch slices.
- Mix 1 teaspoon salt, garlic salt, pepper, and panko together in a small bowl.
- Pour flour and eggs into their own bowls.
- Dredge each zucchini slice in flour first, then egg, then cover in panko crumbs on both sides. Set on lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining slices.
- Bake on 400 degrees F for 20 minutes until golden. Remove and top each slice with mozzarella and three mini pepperonis. Bake for another 5 minutes. Serve immediately while warm.
You can also try this Spinach Pizza Pull Apart Bread to satisfy your pizza lovers! Feel free to leave your email address to subscribe so you can get more free recipes.
*If you decide to make a purchase through the affiliate link, Amazon will pay me a very small commission for it. This does not cost you anything additional. These commissions help to keep the rest of my content free. Thank you!