Summer is in its prime, and the weather is hot! It is so important to stay hydrated while enjoying all of this sunshine, making right now the perfect time to learn how to make Agua Fresca! This Agua Fresca recipe is a light, refreshing fruit and water beverage. If you’ve never had it, it lands somewhere between juice and water. It is less sweet than a lot of juice beverages, but a lot tastier than plain infused water. This is one of the most refreshing drinks and you can make it in 15 minutes!
I have included 3 delicious Aguas Frescas recipes below! Creating the perfect Agua Fresca recipe is about achieving the right balance of sweetness, acidity, and hydration. If you decide to create your own Aguas Frescas, consider the natural sweetness or acidity of the fruit you are using first. For example, in the pineapple coconut Agua Fresca recipe, I swapped water for coconut milk or water. Either option will work. Coconut water and coconut milk both offer a little more natural sweetness than water. Since pineapple is more tart than most other fruits, it needs that extra boost, unlike the watermelon Agua Fresca, which gets enough sweetness from the watermelon. , Hit the jump to recipe button to get started, because I'm sure one of these will be your perfect drink!
Why You'll Love Agua Fresca
- Party Friendly – These drinks are not only tasty, but also pretty. Having these on display at your event can look so fun. You can prepare a range of flavors and serve them in glass drink dispensers! Try a blueberry flavor and a honeydew if you want every color of the rainbow on your countertop. One thing that makes this recipe so convenient is that you can prepare it in advance. If you are hosting a cookout or pool party, you can make these beforehand, and save yourself work the day of.
- Kid Friendly – Skip the sugary fruit drinks or cans of soda. Kids will love sipping these drinks! And with how quick and easy they are to make, it can be a great activity to occupy your little ones. Get your kids in the kitchen and have them help make their own Agua Fresca!
Ingredients For Watermelon Agua Fresca
- Watermelon – Watermelon is such a classic summer flavor. It is super hydrating, and so yummy. Watermelon is also good for digestive issues and muscle soreness, so bring your watermelon Agua Fresca along to your volleyball game, or on your next hiking trip!
- Lime Juice – Lime juice is one of the key ingredients in most Agua Fresca recipes. I think that fresh lime tastes better than the bottled stuff. Also, if you use freshly squeezed lime juice, you can grab an extra lime or two for garnishing. Either place a little wedge on the rim of your glass, or stick a few thin slices inside the cup!
- Sugar – These recipes only require a little sugar, but if you don’t like using cane sugar, you can always substitute it for the sweetener of your choice! Agave and stevia are other great options. If substituting alternative sweeteners, consider adding less and tasting it as you go, as some alternative sweeteners taste sweeter than sugar, and will require less.
- Water - good old H20 for hydration!
Ingredients for Cantaloupe Mint Agaua Fresca
- Cantaloupe – The second flavor on the list is cantaloupe mint. It is so mellow and cooling. Get fresh cantaloupe and save any extra for garnish, or serve it as a snack or in fruit salad!
- Mint – Mint in any beverage is such a treat. It is cooling, earthy, and naturally sweet. If you are considering starting an herb garden, I would recommend including mint in it! It tastes lovely with the cantaloupe, and it also makes a beautiful garnish, so consider picking up a little extra!
- Water - great for hydration.
Ingredients for Pineapple Coconut Agua Fresca
- Pineapple – Pineapple is full of antioxidants and vitamin C. It’s sweet, tart, tangy, and has so many health benefits!
- Coconut Water – Coconut water is a great source of potassium and electrolytes, making it a great source of hydration. In this recipe, coconut water replaces regular water in the pineapple coconut flavor option. Agua Fresca is certainly a summery treat, but consider keeping the pineapple coconut recipe on hand for cold and flu season, as this can be a fantastic pick me up if you’re feeling under the weather! You can also use coconut milk if you want a creamier option.
How to make Agua Fresca
1. In your blender, combine the fruit, lime juice, sugar or sweetener of choice and the 2.5 cups water or coconut milk.
2. Puree for 1-2 minutes or blend until smooth.
3. Strain the blended drink you do not want pulp in your Agua Fresca and prefer it smooth and thinner.
4. Garnish with fresh mint leaves and wedges of fresh fruit as desired and serve immediately, over ice.
Step by Step Instructions
Start by preparing one of the three flavor options. First, combine your fresh fruit, lime juice, sugar, and cool water or coconut water in your blender and blend.
Next, blend your mixture for 1-2 minutes, or until your fruit is completely blended, and ingredients are combined.
Once blended, your Agua Fresca will have pulp. If you prefer a smoother beverage without pulp, strain your liquid through a cheesecloth or fine mesh colander. If you enjoy pulp in your beverages, skip this step! Below you'll see the pineapple pulp being strained, since we love watermelon, we also love the texture of watermelon juice from the pulp.
Garnish and serve! You may wish to rim your glasses with sugar, place wedged fruit on the rim or inside the glass, or garnish with fresh mint leaves. Enjoy your Agua Fresca over ice!
- Agua Fresca may be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Sugar may be substituted for agave, honey, stevia or coconut sugar. If using an alternative sweetener, the amount may vary.
- Agua Frescas do not need to be strained after blending but some fruits are more fibrous than others and will have pulp. If pulp is undesired, then strain. Not straining the Agua Fresca leaves the fruits natural fiber that is healthy for you.
- If you are serving them at an event and want a beautiful beverage station, consider making flavored ice cubes to go with your drinks. Freeze small pieces of fruit, mint leaves, edible flowers, or chopped cilantro into your ice cubes and serve them in bowls with scoops or tongs.
Agua Fresca is a blend of fruit juice, water, lime juice, and sugar!
Aguas frescas translates to “fresh waters.” It is a chilled beverage made from blended fruit, water, lime juice, and sugar. Agua Fresca is known for being a little sweet, but light and refreshing.
Agua Fresca is a combination of fresh fruit, sugar, and water. It is sweet and fruity, but not as sugary as traditional juices or sodas. It is light, refreshing, and hydrating! Other types of aguas frescas may include more savory ingredients like herbs, cucumber, or jalapeno, and still others may be made with rice milk.
Agua Fresca Recipes -3 Flavors
Watermelon Agua Fresca
- 2 cups Watermelon Chunks
- 2 tbs Lime Juice
- 2 tbs Sugar
- 2.5 cups Water
Cantaloupe Mint Agua Fresca
- 2 cups Cantaloupe Chunks
- 2 tbs Lime Juice
- 2 tbs Sugar
- 2.5 cups Water
- 2 Mint Leaves
Pineapple Coconut Agua Fresca
- 2 cups Pineapple Chunks
- 2 tbs Lime Juice
- 1 tbs Sugar
- 2.5 cups Coconut Water or Milk
- In your blender combine the fruit, lime juice, sugar or sweetener of choice and the 2.5 cups water or coconut milk.
- Puree for 1-2 minutes or until the drink is completely blended.
- Strain the blended drink you do not want pulp in your Agua Fresca and prefer it smooth and thinner.
- Garnish with fresh mint leaves and wedges of fresh fruit as desired and serve immediately, over ice.