Plantains are a staple snack for us, but it is crazy how many people have never tried them! If you haven’t, don’t miss out. Air fryer recipes are a super easy, unintimidating way to prepare what might be your favorite healthy snack, or a great side dish to almost any kind of meal.
Plantain slices do look a lot like bananas, but don’t let that fool you. They don’t taste like bananas! While they do share a slightly similar texture and sweetness, plantains have a more savory flavor profile. This recipe seeks to honor their natural notes without any fuss. They develop a beautiful crisp when fried, and a little salt really complements the flavor. If you like sweeter plantains, please make sure your plantains are ripe. They will look black!
Why You'll Love These Air Fried Plantains
• Fast Food - In just 20 minutes you will have a versatile side for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Or pop these in for a quick and tasty snack!
• Healthful Helping - Plantains are high in vitamins A, C, and B6, as well as magnesium potassium, and fiber. It's also naturally gluten free. Air Frying also makes it extra healthy, since its air fried, not fried.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Plantains
- Plantains - 3 plantains typically yield about 2 servings. Make sure your plantains are firm, but ripe!
- Olive Oil - Since we will prepare this recipe in the air fryer, you do not technically need to use any oil. However, I find that adding about a tablespoon of olive oil helps give them a really nice, buttery crisp.
- Salt - Salt is optional as well, but I find that just ½ tsp is enough to complement the natural flavors of the plantains. You may also consider whether you plan to dip them in anything like guacamole.
How to Make Air Fryer Plantains
- Remove peel from plantains and cut widthwise in half or thirds, depending on the length. Then slice the plantain sections lengthwise, into 3 slices.
- If desired, and highly recommended, l brush the plantains with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Place into the air fryer basket, making sure you don’t crowd the basket.
- Air fry for 10 minutes , then flip and air fry for an additional 3-4 minutes time. Enjoy warm.
Start by preparing your plantains. Peel them, and then cut with a sharp knife widthwise. Depending on how long your plantains are, you may wish to cut them in half or into thirds. Next, slice your plantains lengthwise into thirds.
If you wish to enjoy your plantains on their own, skip this step. Otherwise, I would highly recommend brushing them with olive oil and sprinkle them with salt. Some folks even add sugar.
Next, place the plantains into the air fryer basket in a single layer. Make sure you don’t overcrowd the basket, or they will get soft instead of crisping up. If needed, cook in batches.
Air fry your plantains for 10 minutes. Some air fryers are more powerful than others so I'd check it around 8 minutes. Then, flip the plantains and air fry for an additional 3-4 minutes. Enjoy warm!
- While fried plantains are best enjoyed fresh, you can keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. When you are ready to eat them, simply reheat them in the air fryer.
- Plantains are ripe when they are mostly black with a little yellow left on the peel. They should still feel firm to the touch. If your plantains are all black, they should still be good inside, however they may be softer and a little bit more difficult to slice and cook. Just remember if you fry green plantains, they will not be sweet, I highly dn't suggest it.
- Plantains are so versatile you can really enjoy them as a snack on their own or dipped in guacamole, or as a side with any meal or even dessert. Try eating them with eggs in the morning, or with rice and beans.
If you slice your plantains too thinly, they will basically fry into plantain chips. If this happens, don’t worry! Plantain chips are delicious too. However, if you are going for that familiar fried plantain, be sure to slice them thick enough. If you think yours are a little thin, just check the air fryer a few minutes earlier.
For this recipe you do not need to soak your plantains. Some recipes will advise soaking your plantains before frying, but these are usually recipes that utilize green plantains. Since we are using ripe plantains, they do not need this added step.
- 3 Plantains ripened
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil optional
- ½ tsp Salt optional
- Remove peel from plantains and cut widthwise in half or thirds, depending on the length. Then slice the plantain sections, lengthwise, into 3 slices.
- If desired, lightly brush the plantains with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Place into air fryer basket, making sure to not crowd the basket.
- Air fry for 10 minutes , then flip and air fry for an additional 3-4 minutes. Enjoy warm.
Leave a Reply