Chicken Adobo is a traditional dish and a staple in any Filipino household. It’s pretty much an equivalent of what spaghetti is for Italians and burritos and tacos are for Mexicans. I’ve just made your life a bit easier because this is an instant pot version. Not to worry, I’ve also added a stove top version. Try this easy filipino chicken adobo recipe and it will sure become a family weekly recipe!
This recipe is a bit of tang, a bit of salty and a bit of sweet all combined to create a burst of flavor! Depending on family’s traditions, there are many additions to the recipe. I kept it pretty basic here, but you can add boiled eggs, sweet potato or regular potato.
Rice is the perfect pairing. If you ask any Filipino person, they’ll say it’s a requirement. Just take it from me!
The Instant pot makes this dish incredibly tender and fall of the bone. I do however prefer to use boneless chicken thighs for this recipe. I don’t suggest using chicken breast in this recipe. It creates a very dry texture.
Why You’ll Love This Authentic Filipino Chicken Adobo Recipe
- Fast and easy – this recipe takes only a handful ingredients and just less than fifteen minutes to prepare
- Comfort Food–this is one of those dishes you can’t stop eating. You just get one helping after another.
How to Make It Easy Instant Pot Chicken Adobo
First, season your chicken thighs with seasoning salt and pepper on both sides. Then, turn your instant pot on to saute mode, add about three table spoons of oil into the instant pot. Then add some minced garlic. You can also add some chopped onion if desired (optional). If using a regular pot, just add above and turn stove on to medium heat.
Next, add your chicken to the pot. Brown both sides for about 7 minutes.
Give it a few minutes so the chicken will have a pretty brown (if photographing… lol) just kidding.
Then you’ll want to get a small bowl and add the rest of your ingredients in including your soy sauce, sugar, and vinegar.
Finally, just add the sauce mixture into the pot, and add 3-4 bay leaves. The bay leaves really bring this dish to life. Please don’t forget this ingredient! Turn on manual mode for 10-13 minutes (depends on the thickness of the chicken). Most organic smaller boneless and skinless chicken will only take 10 minutes. If cooking under stove top, cook on low covered to simmer. Serve with rice.
- Additions – you can easily add some boiled eggs to this. It sounds a bit odd, but it tastes so great! Some folks also add steamed potatoes
- Chicken thighs are best for this recipe.
- What does chicken adobo taste like?
- It has a sweet, salty, and tangy taste. Unlike Hispanic adobo dishes, the filipino version is usually not spicy.
- How long does this keep in the fridge?
- You can happily store this in the fridge for 2-3 days. This tastes best fresh though.
- What is served with chicken adobo?
- It’s main partner is rice! This dish is rich and flavorful. White rice makes a perfect pairing.
- How do I thicken chicken adobo?
- If you prefer a thicker sauce, just add about one tablespoon of cornstarch to this recipe.
Easy Chicken Adobo Recipe:
This classic traditional Filipino favorite is loved by so many! Give it a try you'll love it!
- 7-8 Small Chicken Thighs with skin I suggest boneless organic!
- 4-5 bay leaves
- 1/4 c. White vinegar
- 4 tbs. Sugar
- 1/3 c. Soy sauce
- Olive oil for browning
- 2 tsp. garlic minced
- 1 tsp. Pepper corn
- Seasoned Salt and pepper to taste
- Diagonally sliced scallions for garnish
Instant Pot Instructions:
On sauté mode add olive oil and minced garlic, add chicken and brown
In a bowl, mix all ingredients and add mixture over the chicken in the instant pot. On manual mode, cook for 13 minutes. Release valve.
Serve with white rice
Stove Top Instructions:
In a dutch oven, add oil and minced garlic. Add chicken and brown
In a bowl mix all ingredients for the sauce.
Pour over chicken and simmer on low until chicken is tender.
Looking for more easy chicken recipes? Try these:
Disclaimer: Some of the links are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I will make a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. This helps keep all of my content free. Thank you!