Make this Peruvian chicken or pollo a la brasa with green sauce in about 30 minutes. and have the whole family asking for more! Plus this jalapeno sauce is delicious.
Roasted Chicken is so much better than fried! Though chicken nuggets have its time and place, I always opt for roasted chicken. We eat chicken weekly, this particular type of chicken dish lands on the dinner table sometimes twice a week! It’s just that good and my kids love it and is a great alternative to our weekly soy sauce based chicken. There are several Peruvian restaurants around us but it gets pretty pricey. My kids always ask for it, and I can pretty much make quadruple the amount of chicken making it homemade as opposed to buying takeout. This recipe comes pretty close to the real thing, or even better, at least my kids tell me that.
Why You’ll Love This Chicken in Air Fryer Recipe
- Incredibly Flavorful The marriage of spices makes this dish so tasty and delicious. The aji green sauce is perfect on the chicken for those who appreciate some spice.
- Easy to Make – You can marinate it the night before and use an air fryer to cook it perfectly. Baking it is also an option.
How to make Peruvian Style Roast Chicken with Green Sauce Recipe
If baking, preheat your oven to 400F. In a small bowl, first, mix all seasonings into a large bowl (roughly chopped garlic, cumin, olive oil, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper , and lemon.)
How to make the Green Jalapeño sauce
Here’s a pro tip for you: Marinating it will allow the seasonings to penetrate the chicken, don’t skip this step!
- Serve with fried plantains and/or fries for a full Peruvian experience
- This is also great paired with rice or cilantro lime rice.
- Feel free to use your barbeque if available for the perfect grilled chicken.
- For a crispy skin, just air fry on high heat on the skin side for a minute or two.
- I couldn’t find aji amarillo peppers, but if you can grab some, it will make it even more authentic.
- If your kiddos love some type of sauce, you can always offer a side of sour cream.
- You can shorten the cook time to 15 minutes by using thinner slices of chicken.
- Can you freeze these?
- This recipe is best fresh. There are no preservatives in the recipe and the chicken tends to break down over time if frozen.
- How long will it keep in the fridge?
- You can happily keep them in the fridge for 3 days. Either reheat it in pan for a crispy texture or microwave it for a few seconds
- Can I use chicken breasts?
- Yes you can, but I highly suggest using thin chicken breast tenderloins so it won’t take too long to cook and dry out.
- Can you cook frozen chicken in air fryer?
- Yes you can, but, since this is marinated, I highly suggest defrosting the chicken first, so the flavors can marinate.
- What is Peruvian green sauce made of?
- cilantro, jalapeños, garlic, olive oil, lime juice, salt and mayonnaise. If you can grab your hands on some Aji Aramillo Paste, it will make it even better.
- What wine goes well with Peruvian Chicken?
- White wines like Chardonnay make a great match.
Looking for more easy dinner ideas? Try these:
Peruvian Chicken with Green Sauce
- Air Fryer
Green Aji Sauce
- 1 cup (packecilantro leaves
- 1 –2 medium jalapeños coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1.5 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds chicken thighs with skin
- 1 juice lemon
Green Aji Sauce
- Purée all ingredients until smooth in a blender or food processor. Store in refrigerator covered until ready to eat.
- Mix all seasonings into a large bowl
- Add chicken thighs and combine until well incorporated. For better flavor add seasonings under the skin as well.
- Marinate at least 3 hours
- Airfry at 375 for 15-20 minutes. Use an internal thermometer until the thickest part reaches 165F. If you don't have an airfryer, roast at 400F until it reaches 165F
- Serve chicken with green sauce, a side of french fries, or rice. Garnish with chopped cilantro
1–2 medium jalapeños, coarsely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/3 cup mayonnaise
This recipe is adapted from Epicurious