Making fried rice is a fast and affordable meal that's simple to make. This is also a great way to use up leftover ham and leftover rice. Fifteen minutes, is literally all you need to make this great recipe. That means if you only have 30 minutes for lunch, this is a fast fix.
Fried Rice is Filling. Fried rice has protein, vegetables and carbohydrates all wrapped into one dish. It's great for the whole family. We often order a wee bit too much Chinese food some days and excess rice is usually the culprit. Our family loves teppanyaki, and this comes close pretty close. All i need now is an onion, a teppan grill, and a igniter to seal the deal. If you don't know what I'm referencing too, I hope you get to experience it soon. Almost all places create a make believe volcano with an onion tower and a torch.
Why You'll Love This Ham Fried Rice Recipe
- Fast and Versitile - Fried rice is a wonderful way to use up left over white rice and ham. It perks up rice when it's been in the refrigerator and there's only so many ham sandwiches you can eat right?
- Veggie Packed - Mixed vegetables give this dish a nutritional kick and is also great for younger children who are learning how to eat. Of course keep everything pea sized just in case.
How to Make Easy Egg Fried Rice
Start by warming the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and sautéing some the minced garlic and chopped onion (not pictured).
Add the rice and cook for 2-3 minutes. This will warm up the cold rice and soften it. If you have extremely hard rice, add a tablespoon of water and cover with lid.
Add soy sauce, cooked ham and frozen vegetables to the rice and cook thoroughly. About 5 more minutes. Then reduce heat to medium.
Give it a nice mix until well incorporated. Next make a well in the center of the rice mixture.
Then you'll want to add the eggs and crack it inside the well. The hole in the middle helps to ensure the egg gets cooked evenly. You want to stir the egg to essentially make scrambled eggs.
While cooking the eggs, chop up some green onion for garnish. Once eggs are cooked add a tablespoon of butter and stir ingredients together and enjoy warm in a small bowl or a plateful. You may garnish this dish with sesame seeds and green onions if you wish. Jump to recipe details below.
- Jasmine rice makes this recipe authentic. So if you have left over Chinese take out rice, that would be great! That said any rice will do.
- If you like a sweeter fried rice, just add a little teriyaki sauce.
- You can sub the ham with extra firm cubed tofu if you want to keep this vegetarian.
- If you like sesame oil, feel free to add a tablespoon to this dish.
- Add a side dish like egg rolls to add variety to this meal.
- If you don't have mixed vegetables, use some frozen peas instead.
- Substitute soy sauce with tamari for a gluten free experience.
- Can you freeze these?
- This recipe is best fresh, but can be frozen for up to 4 months in an air tight container.
- Defrost the rice in refrigerator and reheat in skillet or microwave
- How long will it keep in the fridge if not frozen?
- You can happily keep them in the fridge for 3 days.
- To reheat add a little bit of water and then cover with plate with plastic wrap and reheat in microwave.
- Can I use microwave rice if I don't have leftover?
- Yes you can. I know cooking rice isn't always easy unless of course you have a rice cooker, there are many microwavable rice options nowadays.
- What are the ingredients for fried rice?
- Rice, a protein like ham, vegetables, soy sauce, garlic and onions
- What soy sauce is best for fried rice?
- I like to use dark soy sauce for fried rice, but if you want to cut back on salt low sodium will do.
- What makes the best fried rice?
- The type of rice! If you want authentic tasting rice, you have to use Asian rice like Jasmine. Rice pilaf and brown rice will change the texture and it may not taste the way you remember it.
Looking for more easy lunch ideas? Try these Baked Rice Cups ore these Mini Zucchini Bites
Tried this recipe and love it? Leave me a comment and rating below. For more inspiration follow us on Instagram Or like us on Facebook
Easy Ham Fried Rice
- 3 tbs. onion chopped
- 1 tsp. garlic minced
- 3 cups leftover rice leftover or microwave rice
- 1 tablespoon oil coconut, sesame or vegetable
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup chopped cooked ham
- 1.5 cups mixed frozen peas & carrots
- 2 eggs
- salt & pepper to taste
- Optional Garnish- green onions sesame seeds
- 1 tbs. butter
- Start by warming the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add your onion and garlic and brown until the onion is translucent.
- Add in the rice and sauté the leftover rice for 2-3 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, cooked ham and frozen vegetables to the rice and cook thoroughly. About 5 more minutes. Then reduce heat to medium.
- Next make a well in the center of the rice mixture and crack the two eggs inside. The hole in the middle helps to ensure the egg gets cooked evenly. Add salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- Once the egg is cooked, stir ingredients together, add one tablespoon of butter and mix until well incorporated and enjoy warm!
Leave a Reply