Sweet and sour is one of my favorite combinations. It is so appetizing to the taste buds. Making this instant pot sweet and sour meatballs recipe is nostalgic to my childhood, when my family made sweet and sour pork growing up.
Why You’ll Love This Meatballs With Veggies Recipe
- Hidden Veggies – Parents with picky eaters rejoice! Cut your vegetables finely enough and your little one may not notice.
- Healthier ingredients – I swapped out arrowroot starch instead of cornstarch and liquid aminos instead of soy sauce. All better for you ingredientsw.
How to Make These Meatballs with Vegetables For Toddlers
In a mixing bowl whisk together arrowroot starch and the vinegar.
Next, add honey, garlic powder, orange juice and aminos and set aside.
After that, in a separate mixing bowl, combine the ground pork and ground beef. For those not wanting to add pork, just use ground beef.
Then you’ll want to fold in the oats and broccoli Make sure the broccoli floret is finely chopped and free of the stalk portion.
Then you’ll wan to add the eggs and ix until thoroughly combined.
Now comes the fun part! Form the ground meat mixture into balls. I make my meatballs roughly 2 ounce portions.
Turn your instant pot on saute mode and brown the meatballs in the coconut oil.
It’s time to make things saucy. Pour orange juice into the instant pot with meatballs, along with the sliced bell peppers and green onions.
Lastly, cover the pot with the lid and cook on pressure cook setting for 8-9 minutes.
After venting, remove lid and cook on the saute setting for another 2-3 minutes or until the sauce is reduced to desired thickness. Garnish with fresh green onions and sesame seeds. Serve orver rice and enjoy!
• Add additional finely chopped vegetables like spinach or carrots for even more nutrition
• Feel free to omit ground pork if you prefer.
• What is arrowroot powder?
- It is a white, flavorless powder used to thicken sauces, soups and other foods.
- It is gluten free and paleo
What can I substitute arrowroot powder with?
You can use cornstarch
Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Meatballs
A perfect combination in a meatball. Try this instant pot recipe today!
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 cup orange juice
- ¾ cup liquid amino’s or soy sauce
- 8 ounces ground pork sausage
- 16 ounces ground beef 90/10
- 1 1/4 cup raw broccoli florets finely chopped
- 1/3 cup oats
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- ¼ cup green onions chopped
- Green onions for garnish
- Sesame seeds for garnish
In a mixing bowl whisk together the arrowroot starch and the vinegar.
Next add honey, garlic powder, orange juice and amino’s. Set aside.
In a separate mixing bowl combine the ground pork sausage and ground beef.
Fold in the oats and broccoli. Make sure the broccoli floret is finely chopped and free of the stalk portion.
Add eggs and mix until thoroughly combined.
Form into meatballs. I did roughly 2 ounce portions.
Brown meatballs in the coconut oil on ‘sauté mode’.
Pour orange juice mixture into the instant pot with meatballs, along with the sliced bell peppers and green onions.
Cover with the lid and cook on the ‘pressure cook’ setting for 8-9 minutes.
After venting, remove lid and cook on the sauté setting for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce is reduced to desired thickness. Garnish with fresh green onions and sesame seeds. Serve over rice and enjoy.
Can be frozen for up to three months. Defrost in fridge and rewarm in instant pot or stovestop.
If you’re looking for more easy meal ideas, try these: