Soup season is officially here, and I am kicking it off with a classic vegetable beef! This instant pot beef vegetable soup is hearty, savory, and easy to make. Pair it with a warm, crusty bread, and you have the perfect autumn meal!
This beef vegetable soup recipe is a total time saver, because it uses an instant pot pressure cooker to cook the meat as well as the soup itself. It takes just 30 minutes from start to finish. This is also a great meal prep option, as it does well in the freezer.
Why You'll Love This Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
- Autumn Made Easy - This easy 30-minute recipe doesn’t use any dishes except your pressure cooker. You can also make it ahead and store it in the freezer or refrigerator.
- Best of the Basics - I created this recipe so that you could prepare the perfect classic vegetable beef soup. It has what it needs to be delicious, but I have kept it simple enough for picky eaters. This also leaves room for any sort of sides you want to serve with it.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
- Olive Oil - You will need a little oil to sauté your beef. This step ensures that your beef cooks perfectly and locks in the flavor.
- Garlic - Garlic is really the star of this dish when it comes to seasoning. You will need 1 tbsp of fresh minced garlic.
- Salt and Pepper - This recipe keeps the seasoning simple, but of course you will need salt and pepper! Regular table salt and ground black pepper will do.
- Dried Celery Flakes - Celery flakes add that little extra something that makes soup taste like soup. It only takes 1 tsp.
- Onion - Onion works double duty in this dish. It provides an essential note of flavor to the broth, but it is also sliced, rather than diced, making it more of a component of the soup as well. I find that a small yellow onion tastes the best in this dish., but a medium yellow onion will work too.
- Carrots - The brightness of carrots provide the perfect little contrast to the rest of the dish, both in flavor and appearance. Peel 3 large carrots and large dice them. Don’t dice them too small or they will get mushy.
- Potatoes - You can’t have a vegetable beef soup without potatoes. Petite gold potatoes are my favorite for this dish. All you have to do is halve them! You will need 2 cups.
- Chuck Roast - Chuck roast works great for beef soup, and will result in a perfectly tender bite. You will need 2 pounds cut into 1 ½ inch - 2 inch cubes. Stew meat sounds great in theory but I've noticed it comes out too dry and tough for this recipe and the other beef recipes I've made.
- Beef Stock - Beef stock is the base of your soup broth. This recipe takes 4 cups.
- Worcestershire Sauce - Part of what keeps this recipe so simple is the inclusion of worcestershire. A little worcestershire packs a lot of flavor. There is no better companion for beef! You will need 2 tbsp.
- Optional Garnishes - This recipe can be really lovely served with some fresh thyme or fresh parsley, but they are entirely optional!
How to make Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup Recipe
1. Thoroughly and evenly sprinkle the minced garlic, 1 tsp salt, celery flakes and pepper on the cubed roast.
2. In an instant pot, using the sauté function, cook the cubed roast in olive oil. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until meat begins to brown.
3. Pour the beef stock in the pot to deglaze and scrape to remove bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the remaining ingredients, along with 1 tsp of salt, to the pot and secure the lid.
4. Change the function to pressure cook on high and cook for 15 minutes. It will take a few minutes for the pressure to build and start to cook.
5. When done cooking, quick release the pressure and then safely remove the lid.
6. Serve warm with toasted bread and garnish with fresh herbs as desired
Start by seasoning your cubed chuck roast. Evenly coat your meat with 1 tbsp minced garlic, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp dried celery flakes, and 1 tsp black pepper.
Set your instant pot to the sauté function, and add 2 tbsp olive oil. Add your seasoned, cubed chuck roast and cook for 3-4 minutes, until your meat starts to brown.
Next, add 4 cups beef broth stock to the instant pot. Scrape the bottom of the pot to free any browned bits from the bottom, so that they mix into your soup broth.
Add another 1 tsp salt, your onion, carrots, and potatoes, and 2 tbsp Worcestershire. Stir, then place the lid on your instant pot.
Switch your instant pot to the pressure cook on high function, and cook your soup for 15 minutes. Don’t worry if you don’t notice a change right away. This is normal as the pressure builds in your instant pot. It will start to cook after a few minutes. After 15 minutes, release the pressure on your pressure cooker, and then carefully remove the lid. Always remember to release the pressure first, for your safety. You are ready to enjoy your tasty soup! Garnish your soup bowls with fresh herbs and serve with toasted bread if desired. Enjoy!
- This soup will last up to 4 days in the refrigerator. Reheat it in the microwave in 30-45 second intervals, or on the stovetop.
- This soup makes a great freezer meal, as it can last up to 3 months in the freezer. To freeze, allow your soup to cool. Then portion your soup into zip loc bags. Lay them flat in the freezer for easy storage. Thaw on the stovetop when you are ready to enjoy.
- This soup makes the perfect lunch, but with a few sides, it can also make a great dinner. Some great sides to try include baked apples, chicken salad sliders, a salad with cranberries, feta, and vinaigrette, spaghetti squash, zucchini, green bean casserole, or corn bread.
- You can also add some frozen green beans and 1 cup frozen peas., but be mindful to place into the pot for only a few minutes, or else it will be mushy.
First, cook your meat using the saute function. Then, add the rest of your soup ingredients and switch the function to pressure cook on high. In around 15 minutes you will have perfectly cooked vegetables and flavorful broth.
Since you are using high pressure to prepare this soup, it is possible to overcook the meat and veggies. 15 minutes always does the trick for me, but be careful not to leave it on high pressure for too long!
To add depth of flavor, make sure you brown your meat before adding the rest of your soup ingredients. When adding the liquid, be sure to scrape the bottom so that the savory, smoky flavors get completely absorbed into your broth.
Looking for more delicious dinners? Try These:
Peruvian Chicken with Green Sauce
Tried this Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup recipe and love it? Leave me a comment and rating recipe rating below. For more inspiration follow us on Instagram Or like us on Facebook
Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
- 2 lbs Chuck Roast cubed 1 ½” -2” pieces, I suggest a more marbled piece for tender cuts
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Garlic minced
- 2 tsp Salt divided
- 1 tsp Dried Celery Flakes
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 small Yellow Onion sliced
- 3 large Carrots peeled and large diced
- 2 cups Petite Gold Potatoes halved
- 4 cups Beef Stock
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire
- Optional Garnish: Fresh Thyme Fresh Parsley
- Thoroughly and evenly sprinkle the minced garlic, 1 tsp salt, celery flakes and pepper on the cubed roast.
- In an instapot, using the sauté function, cook the cubed roast in olive oil. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until meat begins to brown.
- Pour the beef stock in the pot to deglaze and scrape to remove bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the remaining ingredients, along with 1 tsp of salt, to the pot and secure the lid.
- Change the function to pressure cook on high and cook for 15 minutes. It will take a few minutes for the pressure to build and start to cook.
- When done cooking, release the pressure and then safely remove the lid.
- Serve warm with toasted bread and garnish with fresh herbs as desired
Reheat by microwave in 30-45 second intervals or stove top in a soup pot.
Can be frozen up to 3 months and re cooked stove top in a soup pot.
To freeze, divide the soup out into equal portions, cool and fill zip lock bags lay the bags down flat and they will freeze into sheets, making for easy freezer storage.
Leave a Reply