Try adding cauliflower to a classic family favorite and pack in a nutritional punch! This loaded mashed potatoes with cauliflower recipe has everything you need to make it a whole meal or a side dish.
Adding an cauliflower boosts Vitamin C intake. The white floral looking vegetable has several vitamins including C, K, B6 and even folate.
Why You’ll Love This Mashed Potatoes With Sour Cream
- Hidden Veggie Perfect for picky eaters. The combination of white potato and cauliflower makes it less noticeable for more selective children.
- Versatile Dish – Serve it as a meal or as a side dish!
How to Make The Best Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
First, preheat your oven to 400F degrees. Roast the potato for about 35 minutes.
Here’s a pro tip:
If you want to save a little time, poke holes in the potato and stick in the microwave. Cook on full power in the microwave for 5 minutes. Turn over, and continue to cook for 5 more minutes.
Second, boil a large pot of water. Place cut cauliflower into boiling water, reduce to a simmer and let cook for 8-10 minutes.
Then drain the water from the cauliflower. Pat the cauliflower completely dry with a paper towel.
In a skillet cook bacon until crisp. Chop when cooled.
Afterwards, grab a pan and pour out the bacon fat. Pan roast the dried cooked cauliflower and garlic together for a few minutes until it is a toasty brown color.
Next, is the fun part! Add cauliflower and potato to a food processor, or high-powered blender, with garlic, butter, salt, pepper, sour cream, 3oz. cheddar, 3oz. parmesan. You only use some of the ingredients because you want to reserve 1oz. each for garnish. Process for 2 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl every 30 seconds.
Finally, pour the mashed cauliflower and potatoes into a serving bowl and fold in the majority of the chopped bacon and reserving some for garnish. Garnish with the remaining shredded cheeses.
- You can steam your cauliflower/potato or use the microwave to speed things up a bit. It tastes however roasted, but I know some days we just don’t have the time! I other words, mom life!
- Can you freeze these?
- This recipe is best fresh. There are no preservatives in the recipe.
- How long will it keep in the fridge?
- You can happily keep them in the fridge for 3 days.
P.S. If you’re wondering what national day this is for, it’s for national potato day of course! Looking for more easy dinner ideas? Try these:
Loaded Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes – For folks looking for 100% cauliflower based – Jessica Gavin