Rotisserie chicken is a perfect comfort food. This air fryer whole chicken recipe is juicy and tender –and it takes about an hour to make, but the air fryer does all the work for you!
Many comfort foods tend to be fried or fatty. This recipe, however, won’t leave you feeling guilty or weighed down. Unlike the ones you find in the grocery store, this rotisserie chicken is seasoned with an Asian chicken rub. The flavors are unique enough that you won’t feel like you’re eating the same old dinner. But they also blend well enough that it is easy to find sides to serve with this main, or even ways to repurpose leftover meat.
Why You'll Love This Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Dinner and Meal Prep – With this recipe, you’ll be able to serve a lovely family dinner, plus turn leftovers into chicken salad, chicken soup, or sandwiches throughout the week! Cooking time is less than an episode of your favorite television series!
- Only the Good Stuff – The rotisserie chickens you get from the grocery store are tasty and convenient, but come with additives you would likely rather skip. By making this air fryer rotisserie chicken, you get all of the delicious flavor without any unnecessary junk!
Ingredients For Whole Chicken In Air Fryer
- Chicken – When buying your chicken, look for more breast than leg meat. When pressing against the breastbone, fresh meat will feel flexible, yielding a more tender finished product.
- Olive Oil – Olive or Avocado oil will work fine, depending upon your preference. Oil helps get that crispy outer skin.
- Cooking Twine – You should be able to find some at your local grocery store. If you forget to pick some up, dental floss will work in a pinch.
- Brown Sugar – The brown sugar will work to caramelize the skin a bit, giving it that familiar charred finish. The molasses notes are important to the flavor profile as well.
- Smoked Salt – Smoked salt adds that extra touch to your dish. If you only have regular sea salt available to you, you could add a drop of liquid smoke to your rub.
- Garlic Powder – Garlic is the seasoning that keeps giving. Antiviral and anti-inflammatory, its flavor is an essential part of any good rub.
- Minced Onion – Opt for dried minced onion as it will stick to your chicken best, and it has the finer consistency over chopped fresh onion. You can however use onion powder in a pinch.
- Ground Ginger – Ginger is another tasty anti-inflammatory spice. If you only have fresh minced ginger, use 2 tsp instead.
- Pepper – Regular black pepper will do for seasoning your chicken.
- Ground Clove – Clove will add a lovely touch of warmth to your dish. It is high in antioxidants and aids in digestion.
Watch Air Fryer Whole Chicken Web Story
How to Make Air Fryer Rotisserie Chicken
- Mix the Asian chicken rub spices together with 1 tablespoons of olive oil to make a paste.
- Give the chicken an even coating of the seasoning paste.
- With cooking twine, gently tie the chicken legs together, then tie the wings down around the chicken. This will prevent any thinner parts from over cooking and create an even, crispy, juicy chicken.
- Air fry at 365F for 25 minutes breast side down, turn chicken breast side up, then continue to cook for another 25 minutes. Let the chicken rest for 5-7 minutes before cutting.
Step by Step Instructions
First, create your rub. Stir all of your dry seasonings together until they are well mixed. Then, add your olive oil to give it the consistency of a paste.
Next you'll want to coat your chicken with the paste. Cover the entire chicken evenly, and then use your hands to massage the rub into the chicken. This step will ensure that the seasoning sticks, and it will also help the chicken to absorb the flavors.
The next step helps it cook properly. Tie the chicken, so that it will cook evenly on all parts. You will want to use your twine to tie the legs together, and tie the wings down around the chicken.
Afterward, it's time to let your air fryer do the work. Cook in the air fryer at 365 Fahrenheit for 25 minutes, breast side down.
After 25 minutes, flip the chicken turn the chicken breast side up and continue to cook for an additional 25 minutes.
Remove the chicken from the air fryer and allow it to rest for 5-7 minutes. Insert an instant read thermometer to the thickest part of the chicken (before you reach the chicken cavity) to check internal temperature to make sure it's cooked. It should reach 165 degrees to assure doneness. Then, cut and serve.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator, and reheat in the microwave, or at 350 in the air fryer for 6 minutes.
- To obtain a crispier skin air fryer rotisserie chicken, make sure that your chicken is completely defrosted and then pat it dry with paper towels before applying your rub.
- To save a little time, you can make and apply your rub in advance if you want. Your rub will not tenderize the chicken meat, so applying it in advance will not do any damage. If you choose to do this, simply store the chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator to prevent contamination.
- When handling raw chicken, take care not to touch other surfaces, and to wash your hands frequently. Once the chicken is cooking, sanitize any surfaces that may have come into contact with the raw meat in order to prevent the spread of harmful bacteria.
- Short on time? Use this recipe with smaller pieces of chicken and you should be able to prepare dinner in less than 30 minutes.
Cooking your chicken in the air fryer is a wonderful way to obtain your favorite roasted chicken style dinner, without having a rotisserie of your own. Enjoy your air fryer rotisserie chicken, with crispy skin in just an hour!
Cook at 365F for 25 minutes, then flip and cook for an additional 25 minutes.
Yes you can! Just make sure to use an internal meat thermometer to check doneness. It should read 165F
You want to find an air fryer with a basket that's about 6 to 10 quarts.
Season your chicken and use twine to make sure you have even cooking. Then cook at 365F
Looking for more Air Fryer Recipes? Try these:
Tried this air fryer whole chicken recipe and love it? Please leave me a comment and rating below. Feel free to also tag me, I love to see your creations and sharing them. For more inspiration follow us on Instagram Or like us on Facebook
Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- 1 5lb Whole Chicken, cleaned & trimmed
- 1 tbs Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
- Cooking Twine for tying
Asian Chicken Rub
- 1 tbs Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Smoked Salt or Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- ½ tsp Dried Minced Onion
- ½ tsp Ground Ginger
- ½ tsp Pepper
- ¼ tsp Ground Clove
- Mix the Asian chicken rub spices together with 1 tbs of olive oil to make a paste.
- Give the chicken an even coating of the seasoning paste.
- With cooking twine, gently tie the chicken legs together, then tie the wings down around the chicken. This will prevent any thinner parts from over cooking and create an even, crispy, juice chicken.
- Air fry at 365F for 25 minutes breast side down, turn chicken breast side up, then continue to cook for another 25 minutes. Let chicken rest for 5-7 minutes before cutting.
Reheat at 350F in air fryer for 6 minutes or microwave.
Leave a Reply