Have you ever wanted a sweet treat at night? (I just raised both hands).
I have a sweet tooth, but I always look for healthier options to curb my appetite. A friend of mine on Instagram (mama.of4) inspired me to try raw cacao. She's been making me drool over her raw cacao recipes! If you have no idea what cacao is, you're not alone. I had to look it up. It's basically pure chocolate without the fat and added sugar. According to my fancy Google search cacao is high in antioxidants, magnesium and iron.
I thought trying the ingredient would be a perfect way to introduce chocolate to my son. By the way, the kid will be a kid and have a chocolate bar someday. For now, though, I will try to give him something healthier.
So my idea came about while cutting his apples. If you've followed me for a while, you know my son is a huge fan of anything round. I thought it would be fun to dip it in chocolate. Plus, I also thought it would be a great snack for my husband to eat while I'd be gone on my moms weekend vacation.
If you don't want to use raw cacao, you can totally use regular chocolate. I just wanted to share my idea of cutting the apple this way and dipping it in chocolate. You can also add a lollipop to it like this.
- 1-2 tbs agave syrup (we used 1, if you like it sweeter, make it 2)
- ⅓ cup raw cacao powder
- 3 tbs of coconut oil
- Apples, strawberries, or fruit of choice
- Toppings: crushed almond and shredded coconut
1. Mix agave sugar, cacao powder in a bowl
2. In a pan heat coconut oil until liquid form (this will take a few seconds, don't burn it)
3. Mix 1 and 2 together
4. Dip fruit in chocolate mixture and let it drip until it stops
5. Place dipped fruit on parchment paper and place in refrigerator for at least an hour
6. Thank me. Kidding.
*If you decide to make a purchase through the affiliate link, Amazon will pay me a very small commission for it. This doesn't cost you anything more. These commissions help to keep the rest of my content free. Thank you!