This donut cereal recipe is so so fun! It’s perfect for a summer activity with the kids and is so delish. Since we’ve been staying home more, this is also the perfect activity for a weekend morning. it’s fun and the kiddos love it. Not to worry, I’ve created an easy shortcut to make this recipe into a 30 minute meal. It’s one of my favorite box cake recipes!
These are so fun! These donut cereal bites are fun to make. It’s easy and tasty too! We have treats once in a while and these are pretty much a kid’s dream come true. You can always choose different color icing.
Why You’ll Love This Cereal Donuts Recipe
- 30 Minutes – I’ve added a short cut ingredient so you won’t be using too many and it cooks up in just 30 minutes. It’s an easy cake doughnut recipe everyone will enjoy and the results are fast.
- Fun Activity – Your kiddos will have a fun making these!
Ingredients for Mini Donuts
- Box Cake Mix – this is quick shortcut so you won’t need to make the dough portion from scratch. You won’t need any baking powder or any cake ingredients because it’s conveniently in a box.
- Water – this is what gives the batter moisture
- Applesauce – instead of oil, I use applesauce a healthier alternative
- Egg – you’ll need this as a binder
- Powdered sugar -needed for your icing
- Meringue powder – this ingredient is mostly made of dried egg whites, this essentially replaces egg whites.
- Sprinkles – these are optional but so fun to add.
How to Make It
- Prepare ingredients and preheat oven and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a bowl, mix cake mix, 1/4 c. water, egg and applesauce, mix until well combined.
- Fill a pastry bag with the mixture, and pipe donut rings
- Bake for around 8 minutes until golden, let cool
- Make the icing with powdered sugar, meringue powder and water.
- Drizzle with icing and add sprinkles
Step by Step Instructions
First, preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray or parchment paper.
Next, in a large mixing bowl, combine the dry cake mix, ¼ cup water, egg and applesauce. Batter should be stiff and not runny.
Mix thoroughly, fill a pastry piping bag or zip lock bag and cut a small hole to pipe with. Pipe rings along the sheet tray with batter. (They should be a little bigger than a quarter.) Aren’t these just so adorable? I used birthday cake mix for this batch!
Next you’ll want to bake them for around 8 minutes or until the donuts start to become golden. They will the same or similar texture to boxed cereal, but are like cake donuts.
While the mini donuts are baking, make the icing by whisking together the powdered sugar, meringue powder and water. (if icing is too stiff add just a few drops of water at a time until icing is the consistency to coat)
When done, let donuts cool then drizzle the tops with icing and colored sprinkles. Let donut icing dry for a few minutes. They are like mini bundt cakes but in donut form 😉
Enjoy with ice cold milk!
Next up, I’ll be trying to make this with corn flour sugar and whole grain oat flour.
- Watch your baking time! Depending on the strength of your oven, it could take a little longer or a little faster to get your perfect cereal.
- If you want to skip the icing and cut the artificial flavors, you can always opt to do cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Swap out your box mixes: Love chocolate? Just swap out your cake mix with chocolate flavor and use chocolate cake mix. You can even add some chocolate chips if you wish.
- If you enjoy the aroma of vanilla extract or almond extract, a drop or two in the batter will add a special scent.
- How long will this keep?
- You can happily keep this in a cool dry place in an air tight container for about 3 days, I don’t think it will last this long though ;).
- Can you freeze these?
- These mini doughnut recipe is best fresh.
- 1 Box Cake Mix may also use any flavor
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon meringue powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- Sprinkles for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry cake mix, ¼ cup water, egg and applesauce. Batter should be stiff and not runny.
- Mix thoroughly, fill a pastry bag or zip lock bag and cut a small hole to pipe with. Pipe rings along the sheet tray with batter. (They should be a little bigger than a quarter.)
- Bake for around 8 minutes or until the donuts start to become golden.
- While the donuts are baking, make the icing by whisk together the powdered sugar, meringue powder and water. (if icing is too stiff add just a few drops of water at a time until icing is the consistency to coat)
- When done, let donuts cool then drizzle the tops with icing and sprinkles. Let donut icing dry for a few minutes and enjoy with ice cold milk.
Tried this recipe and love it? Leave me a comment and rating below. For more inspiration follow us on Instagram Or like us on Facebook