Is there anything more comforting than banana bread? These banana bread muffins are a healthier take on the classic favorite baked good. You’ll feel good about serving these for breakfast, or enjoying them as a treat any time of day.
This recipe features some simple swaps. Instead of processed, white sugar, this recipe utilizes unrefined coconut sugar. It also swaps oil for applesauce, which not only reduces fat, but also adds moisture.
Why You’ll Love This Healthy Banana Muffins Recipe
• Potassium-tastic! – Both the bananas and the coconut sugar contain potassium. You may know that potassium helps prevent cramps, but there are more benefits. Potassium also stabilizes blood sugar and pressure, aids in stress management, and boosts metabolism.
• Filled with Fiber – The walnuts, bananas, and applesauce are all fibrous, making these muffins good for your gut.
How to Make Healthy Banana Bread
First, preheat oven to 350, and lightly grease muffin tin with cooking spray, or line with cupcake liners.
Then soften your butter, and then cream together with sugar.
Next, it’s time to stir stuff around. In a separate, large bowl, lightly beat eggs. Add mashed banana and vanilla. Stir until combined, and then add creamed sugar. After this, In a clean bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt. Stir into banana mixture. Mix in applesauce until combined, making sure not to over mix. Stir in crushed walnuts if desired.
Finally, you’ll want to spoon batter into muffin tins, about ¾ full.
Bake for 20-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
• In a hurry and strapped for time? Mini muffins bake in just around 12 minutes.
• Add fun mix-ins for variety. Various nuts and seeds, mini chocolate chips, and raisins all work nicely.
• Can you freeze these?
o They will keep in a freezer bag for up to 3 months.
• How long will it keep in the fridge? It’s best fresh, but can keep for one or two days in room temp. Remember, there are no preservatives in this recipe, so it may start to lose its freshness.
BIG TIP: Cook time will vary depending on what kind of pan you use. My mini muffins took about 10-12 minutes and mini loaf pans about 15. PLEASE check it often and poke with a toothpick until it comes out clean.
*If you decide to make a purchase through the affiliate link, Amazon will pay me a very small commission for it. This does not cost you anything additional. These commissions help to keep the rest of my content free. Thank you!
Check out these other healthy muffin ideas!
Savory herb and Cheese Muffins by Imagelicious
Vegetable Savory Muffins by Healthy Little Foodies
If you have tried this healthy banana muffin recipe, or any other recipe on my blog, then please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below! For more inspiration follow us on Instagram Or like us on Facebook for more delicious kid-friendly ideas!
Banana Bread Muffins
A healthier take on a classic baked favorite! This guilt free muffin is so moist without all the added oil1
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 tbs butter softened or slightly melted
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 c. crushed walnuts
- 1 tsp baking powder
In a bowl, cream together butter and sugar
In large bowl, lightly beat eggs, add mashed bananas, add vanilla and combine. Add the creamed sugar.
In a third bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking power, and salt. Add to the creamed mixture. Add applesauce and combine well, but do not overmix. Add crushed walnuts if desired
Grease muffin tin by lightly spraying with cooking spray or use silicone cupcake liners
Bake at 350F for 20-30 minutes (depends on size of muffin tin used, so use a toothpick to check if it comes out clean) Check frequently! Tip: If using mini muffins, this will only take about 12 minutes.