Everything is better on a snack board. It gives everyone a chance to make their own choices and variety to me is the splice of life. This Mexican buffet board is fun for all ages and it's a meat cheese board that you won't see all the time. Best of all it takes less than half 15 minutes to prep and it is essentially no cook, unless of course using the microwave means cooking for you. This is perfect for Mexican food taco Tuesday or game day.
This is also a great way to introduce new foods to your kiddos too! My kids are more willing to try new foods when displayed in this way. I think yours might too! Plus, I've included a lot of dips to help. From toddlerhood, I've learned they love dipping, or making a mess, well maybe both.
Something for Everyone. Snack boards are so fun because there really is something for everyone. Make your own tacos, have some taquitos, or just dip some veggies into some guacamole.
Why You'll Love Mexican Buffet Board
- Versatile - I've given you some examples here, but I hope that also sparks some ideas for your own variations. You can add or omit whatever you like.
- Nutritious - From fresh vegetables to protein, you can serve a very well rounded meal to your family or guests.
Ingredients For Mexican Charcuterie Board
- Frozen Taquitos - there are so many brands available these days in the frozen aisle of your grocery store. They're easy, microwavable, and kids and adults love them.
- Canned Refried Beans - a staple in Mexican cuisine, it also adds protein to this recipe. If you've made some homemade and have left over this is a great way to use it up.
- Fajita Chicken - you may use any type of cooked chicken, or make your own easily. I've used rotisserie chicken in a pinch, just chop up the chicken and serve.
- Cilantro - adds so much flavor to your plate, that's if you like it of course.
- Limes - I just love the tangy sour flavor of limes. It's has a highly concentrated form of vitamin C.
- Tortillas - perfect for making tacos or tear in pieces and dip away!
- Mexican Cheese - it's usually a mix of cheddar cheese and Monterey jack cheese. You may use any type of shredded cheese, but this is my go to.
- Sour Cream - sour cream is a great topping that adds some moisture to every bite
- Salsa - adds flavor to the dish, I've also included a simple homemade Pico de Gallo below. Store bought is great too.
- Lettuce - this green vegetable adds a little texture and crunch to your tacos
- Bell Peppers - these colorful vegetables are low in calories and rich in vitamin C and antioxidants.
How to make Mexican Appetizers
- Arrange taquitos, beans, and meats on a wooden board.
- Prepare your guacamole. Smash avocados and combine with tomatoes, cilantro and onion. Salt and pepper to taste. Add to a bowl.
- Now arrange your bowls of guacamole, Pico de Gallo, and tortillas on the board.
- In smaller bowls, add salsa, sour cream and cheddar cheese.
- Fill remaining open spaces with lettuce, limes, and bell pepper slices
Step by Step Instructions
First, you'll want to prepare your taquitos and beans as well as chicken. I like to use frozen taquitos, store bought cooked chicken, and canned beans. If you have time to make these homemade, that's great too. Start by arranging the proteins on the board as anchors. This includes the taquitos, beans, and meat.
Next, prepare your easy guacamole. For this fresh guacamole recipe, just smash together some ripe avocados, small diced tomatoes, chopped cilantro and small diced white or red onion. Mash avocados to your liking, if you like it chunky, don't mash too much. Salt and pepper to taste and then place into a medium sized dish to be served. You can opt for store bought guac for this too, but homemade guacamole is so easy and delicious to make.
In a small bowl mix together the diced onion, diced tomatoes and finely chopped cilantro.
Arrange the medium sized bowl additions to include guacamole, Pico de Gallo, and small tortillas.
Next you'll want to add the smaller containers of salsa, sour cream, and shredded cheese to the board.
Now, it's time to fill in the open spots. I'd add shredded lettuce, cut limes, and bell pepper slices as you feel fit.
Finally, we're ready to serve the Mexican Buffet Board with small plates and forks, alongside tortilla chips. Now dig in and enjoy!
Cook's Tips For Taco Buffet
- This is great with leftovers. Cubed rotisserie chicken tastes great in a taco actually, especially with the guacamole and salsa.
- Have a favorite Mexican slow cooker meat? That's great to add here too.
- Versatility is a huge reason I love boards. You can add salsa verde, queso dip, or even black beans. Any other fresh ingredients will be great. Just plop it in your favorite Mexican dishes or appetizers.
- Make another snack board with fresh fruit or dry fruit and nuts for a full display.
- How do I keep guacamole from browning?
- Squeezing some lemon or lime juice on your avocado will help with oxidation or browning.
- Can you freeze these?
- No, this is best fresh
- Can I refrigerate this?
- Yes, you can for up to 3 days. Some of the vegetables including the guacamole will lose its luster however. I would plastic wrap the left overs.
- How long can this sit out?
- I wouldn't leave this out for more than 3 hours.
- Can I make this ahead of time?
- Yes, just make sure to heat the warm items before serving. Those include the meat, beans, and taquitos, and tortillas if you want those warm.
Mexican Buffet Board Recipe
- 1 16 ct. Box Frozen Taquitos, cooked according to box directions
- 1 cup Canned Refried Beans warmed
- 16 oz Pre-Cooked Fajita Chicken warmed
- 1 Bunch Cilantro
- 4 Limes
- 1 12 ct. 4” Pack Small Flour Tortillas
- ½ cup Mexican Cheese shredded
- ⅓ cup Sour Cream
- ⅓ cup Salsa
- 2 cups Lettuce Shredded
- 2 cups Bell Peppers sliced
- 1 Bag Tortilla Chips
For Pico De Gallo
- ¼ cup Onion small diced
- ½ cup Tomato small diced
- 3 tb Fresh Cilantro chopped
- ¼ cup Onions small diced
- ¼ cup Tomatoes small diced
- 2 Large Avocados
- 1 tbs Cilantro chopped
- ¼ tsp Salt & Pepper
- Start by arranging the proteins on the board as anchors. This includes the taquitos, beans, and meat.
- Prepare the guacamole by smashing together the avocado, small diced tomatoes, chopped cilantro and small diced onion. Salt and pepper to taste and then place into a medium sized dish to be served.
- In another medium dish mix together the diced onion, diced tomatoes and chopped cilantro.
- Arrange the medium sized additions to include guacamole, pico de gallo, and small tortillas.
- Add smaller containers of salsa, sour cream, and shredded cheese.
- In the remaining open spaces fill with shredded lettuce, cut limes, and bell pepper slices.
- Serve with small serving utensils, alongside tortilla chips and enjoy.
May only be kept at room temperature for up to 3 hours.
Board may be made ahead of time and warm items can be warmed before serving ( meat, beans and taquitos), except tortilla chips and tortillas.
Looking for more easy finger food ideas? Try these:
Tried this Mexican Buffet Board recipe and love it? Please leave me a comment and rating below. Feel free to also tag me, I love to see your creations and sharing them. For more inspiration follow us on Instagram Or like us on Facebook