It’s officially summer. That also means it’s summer break and a lot of time with the kids. I wanted to do something fun with my sons since we are home more. I’ve always wanted to make kinetic sand. I tried a few recipes but failed miserably. I either got sand that was just like wet sand, or sand that didn’t really change. Along the way through my countless efforts, I discovered sand slime. It has a pleasant texture and is super fun to make. We mixed three colors and created a fun unicorn color shade. This Unicorn Sand Slime recipe is worth a try this summer!
Yes, you can buy kinetic sand or probably slime at the store, but making it is what makes it fun. It gives the kids something to do and they just love fake “cooking”. After making this a few times I did learn a few things. Here are some tips:
- Buy fine sand, play sand just doesn’t give it a smooth consistency. I bought some at my local craft store as well, but I think this pack of colored sand should work as well.
- After making the slime mixture, separate a little sand at a time. Do not go all out and use it all.
- Add sand slowly in small amounts, until you reach your desired consistency
First you’ll want to mix glue and water.
Then you’ll add baking soda and contact solution.
This is important, are you still with me? Stir and wait until the glue mixture thickens into a slime. Depending on how much you make this would take about 5-10 minutes. Your kids can play with this too and you can stop here, but I felt it was way too messy. That’s why I thought of adding sand to it.
Then separate a small amount of slime aside and place into another bowl.
Add a small amount of sand at a time into the slime mixture. This is the part that is a little subjective. Add little amounts of sand until you reach your desired consistency. If you want it a little more moist add some baby oil. You can make different color batches and then mix them together, to create unicorn slime.
Voila! You’ve made unicorn sand slime. The kids can stretch it, mold it, and cut it. The most satisfying thing ever I might say.
Unicorn Sand Slime
- 1/2 c. glue
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tbs. contact solution
- Fine Sand
- Baby Oil optional
- In a bowl, mix glue and water
- Add baking soda, and contact solution
- Stir and allow to thicken, could take 5-10 minutes
- Separate a small amount of the glue mixture, in another bowl
- Add sand 1/2 tsp. at a time and knead
- Repeat and add more sand until you enjoy the texture
- Add a few drops of baby oil (optional)
*If you decide to make a purchase through the affiliate link, Amazon will pay me a very small commission for it. This does not cost you anything additional. These commissions help to keep the rest of my content free. Thank you!