Vegan Chicken Nuggets Even Your Kids Will Love
Easy and delicious, these vegan chicken nuggets recipe is a little lighter than its cousin chicken nugget. It's a great nutritious snack, an appetizer, or a main course. I always try to offer a variety of foods to my kids. The only vegan or vegetarian nuggets I ever find is packed with preservatives. My vegan chicken nuggets recipe is more wholesome and only takes 30 minutes to make.
Tofu has always been part of meals in our family. It's very important for me for my kids to know some of their roots. I often do that through food. I grew up in an Asian country where tofu is often served. From desserts to main courses, we often eat it.
Why You'll Love This Baked Tofu Recipe
- Plant based - this recipe is a great way to introduce tofu. It's a great tofu recipe for kids.
- Kid friendly - I have yet to meet a kid who doesn't like crunchy food. This is a great way to satiate those cravings, big kid or little!
- Baked not Fried - This is a great alternative to deep frying tofu. It is a great recipe and you don't need a food processor.
How to Make This Easy Tofu Recipe for Kids
This preparation will only take you 15 minutes! First, preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick olive oil spray. Also prepare a greased baking rack to make the process easier.
Begin by cutting the tofu into desired shape, then gently press the extra liquid out using a paper towel. I left tofu in slices to make the pressing easier, then finished cutting into cubes.
In a small bowl, combine the vinegar and milk. Let sit for a few minutes to make buttermilk.
On a plate or larger bowl, mix together the panko, salt, pepper, paprika garlic powder and onion powder.
Now you'll want to create an assembly line. Take a piece of tofu and coat them first in cornstarch or arrowroot powder, then in the milk mixture and lastly in the seasoned panko brand crumbs.
Finally, transfer to the prepared baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown depending on the thickness of your nuggets. Serve warm.
- Firm Tofu - Make sure you're using firm tofu. If you use soft tofu, it will break apart and it's nearly impossible to dip into mixtures.
- Dipping Sauces - use whatever dipping sauces you would use with chicken nuggets . Make this into a teriyaki tofu recipe by dipping it in your favorite teriyaki sauce.
- Seasonings - you can easily add a little garlic powder or nutritional yeast if those flavors are something you enjoy.
- What is tofu exactly?
- Tofu is made out of condensed soy milk that is made into solid white blocks. The process is almost like making cheese. Soy milk is made from soybeans.
- Can I use my airfryer for this?
- Yes, you can. Set the airfryer to 350 degrees F. Spread the prepared tofu in the air fryer making sure it's not crowded. Airfry for 8 minutes. Please note that every air fryer is different so you feel free to check in on it a few times.
Looking for more kid friendly recipe ideas? Try these Tasty Taco Rolls or Mini Chicken Pot Pies
Tried this easy kid friendly chili and guiltless cornbread recipe and loved it? Leave a comment and rating below. For inspiration follow us on Instagram or like us on Facebook
Vegan Chicken Nuggets
- 1 block of extra firm tofu about 14 oz
- 1 cup panko may sub breadcrumbs or cornflakes
- 2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup milk may sub any nut milk, oat milk or alt.
- ½ cup corn starch may sub arrow root starch
- 1 tsp vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick spray, as well as a greased baking rack (rack not necessary but helpful).
- Begin by cutting the tofu into desired shape, then gently press the extra liquid out. I left tofu in slices to make the pressing easier, then finished cutting into cubes.
- In a small bowl combine the vinegar and milk. Let sit for a few minutes to make buttermilk.
- On a plate or larger bowl, mix together the panko, salt, pepper, paprika garlic powder and onion powder.
- Take the cubes of tofu coating them first in cornstarch, then in the milk mixture and lastly in the seasoned panko.
- Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes depending on the thickness of your nuggets. Serve warm.
Leave a Reply