All the goodness of bread without the high calorie carbs! This 4 Ingredient Cauliflower Bread is your answer to guilt free bread!
I’ve also included a microwavable option below, if you don’t want to bake the first part. This bread recipe fits lots of lifestyles including keto, gluten free, and paleo, depending on how strict you are.
Bread is just so so good! I love bread, but unfortunately it’s very caloric and is high in carbohydrates. This cauliflower bread provides a bread-like texture without any grains or flour.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Minimal Ingredients – Just 4 ingredients to make this recipe, 3 if you don’t like herbs.
- Family Friendly – Everyone in my family loves grilled cheese. Using this bread for a grilled cheese sandwich makes it so much more nutritious.
- Nutrient Dense – Cauliflower is rich in vitamins and minerals, containing some of almost every vitamin and mineral you need. You may not know it but it has a ton of Vitamin C and fiber.
How to Make It
Here’s a Pro Tip:
Buying cauliflower riced already will allow you to skip the food processor step! That means less cleanup, less work, and more time eating 😉
Preheat your oven to 350F.
Skip this step if you’re using riced cauliflower, and move on to the next step.
Next, with your hands shape the cauliflower mixture into desired shape. I like creating small squares shown below. Each one is about 1/4 inches thick. You should be able to get around 6 square pieces from the paste. I’ve also tried making these thinner which works fine too, just reduce your cook time and watch it carefully.
After waiting patiently, remove the cauliflower sandwich breads from the trays. Cut up some mozzarella cheese if desired and add on top of one bread slice.
Add another cauliflower bread on top and melt for 5 minutes under broil.
- Remove Moisture – Do not forget this step! It’s important to remove as much moisture from the baked cauliflower
- Buy – Riced cauliflower to save time!
- Allow to cool – Prior to removing from baking sheet, make sure you give it time to cool. Removing prematurely will cause it to break.
- How long will it keep in the fridge?
- You can happily keep them in the fridge for 3 days. It’s best though to eat this fresh though
- Can you freeze these?
- Freeze immediately after cooling from the oven. Don’t allow it to sit in room temprature for a long time. It will hold up for a month in the freezer.
- How do you reheat it?
- Let it thaw completely in the refrigerator the night before.
- Reheat in the oven at 400F for around 5 minutes, depending on the thickness of the bread. This should create a crispy outside layer, and a moist and soft inside.
- Can you microwave these after freezing?
- Try reheating for 30 seconds 3 times (depends on the power of the microwave, so just check frequently)
- Can you use a toaster?
- Yes, but it may take a few toasts since it is dense and frozen.
4 Ingredient Cauliflower Bread
A minimum of 3 ingredients is all you need to make these gluten free, grain free bread!
- 1 piece Medium size cauliflower large stem removed, or store bought riced cauliflower (1 lb.)
- 1 Large egg
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 sprig Rosemary chopped fine (optional)
- ¼ tsp optional, chopped chives (optional)
1.Preheat your oven to 350F.
Remove the large stems of the cauliflower, cut it into small pieces. Using a food processor, work the cauliflower florets into rice size pieces. (Skip this step if using store-bought riced cauliflower)
Place the cauliflower pieces on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Spread the florets thin. Bake at 350F. for 10 minutes, then stir the pieces around to ensure even cooking, and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Let the cauliflower cool a bit.
Squeeze out any remaining liquid with cheese cloth. You want to get as much liquid out as possible.
Preheat the oven to 425F.
In a small bowl, beat the egg till yolk and white is mixed. Add the egg, cheese and herbs (for flavor) into the cauliflower, and stir till a paste forms. This will be your batter to make the bread.
Line a baking sheet with parchment. Lightly spray the parchment. Portion the pasted into roughly 100g pieces, and arrange them evenly on the tray. With your fingers, or a spoon, shape each pile into a flat, rustic square shape. Each one is about ¼ inch thick. You should be able to get around 6 pieces of squares from the paste. Place the squares evenly across the tray, so they are not too close to each other, and will bake more evenly that way.
Place the tray in the oven and bake for 16-20 minutes till the “bread” pieces are golden brown.
Take the tray out and let the “breads” cool down. Patience is needed here. Trying to move them while hot till cause them to fall apart.
After waiting patiently, remove the cauliflower sandwich breads from the trays.
Add mozzarella cheese if desired and broil until cheese is melted.
Tip: Make sure you don't miss these steps:
- Removal of liquid after baking the cauliflower.
- Allow it to cool after baking shaped bread, otherwise it will break!
- If adding mozzarella cheese for a grilled cheese effect, use a square of cheese slightly smaller than the bread. Otherwise it will be an excess of cheese.
You can also just save time by using the microwave for the first step of baking.Place the cauliflower pieces in a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Remove the bowl using gloves, stir with a spatula and let some steam escape. Microwave for another 3 minutes, stir again, the cauliflower rice should look drier now. Place it back and cook for another 3 minutes. Lots of the moisture should have escaped, and this would help the cauliflower pieces stick together to form a “bread” later. You can skip the removal of liquid since the microwave takes care of that.
Tried this recipe and love it? Leave me a comment and rating below. For more inspiration follow us on Instagram Or like us on Facebook