Few things top a good Mexican dish, but there is so much more than just taco night. I see your Taco Tuesday and raise you Taquito Tuesday, or Flauta Friday if you prefer. This delicious dish comes together in less than 30 minutes, so it is a perfect choice for any night of the week!
Flautas and taquitos are essentially the same thing, but you use larger flour tortillas to make flautas, and smaller corn tortillas to make taquitos. If you are planning to serve these at an event, I recommend making them as taquitos. They make an absolutely delightful finger food!
Why You'll Love These Cheesy Chicken Roll Ups
Easily Adjustable – This recipe is so easy to make vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, or dairy-free. If you need to cook for a variety of eaters, make a few different kinds with ease!
Skip the Oil – If you like to avoid oil when cooking, this is a great dish for you. Since this recipe utilizes an air fryer, there is no oil needed!
Ingredients for Cheesy Chicken Taquitos
- Chicken – You will need 2 cups of cooked, shredded chicken. You can use leftover chicken from your fridge, or rotisserie chicken from the grocery store!
- Cream Cheese – Cream cheese is the magic ingredient that makes these flautas irresistible. Get it out before you begin, so it softens enough to easily mix.
- Mexican Cheese – They wouldn’t be cheesy flautas/taquitos without shredded cheese. Mexican cheese is the best choice, though cheddar or Monterey jack would work as well.
- Taco Seasoning – This dish is so easy to season using just ½ tablespoon of taco seasoning!
- Black Beans – Rinse and drain ½ cup of black beans before you begin. Black beans work perfectly because of their size, flavor, and their level of firmness. If you don’t like beans, you could skip them or use southwest corn instead.
- Tortillas – If you want to make taquitos, you will need corn tortillas, but if you wish to make flautas, grab the larger size flour tortillas.
How to make Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos
- In a mixing bowl, combine the chicken, cream cheese, shredded cheese, taco seasoning and black beans. Fold until thoroughly combined.
- Scoop about 2-3 tablespoons of filling into a tortilla. Shape filling into a log shape spanning from one side of the tortilla to the other.
- Roll up filled tortilla and repeat with the rest of your taquitos/flautas.
- Place your rolled tortillas in the air fryer basket, seam side down, and bake for 10-12 minutes at 375F.
To start, prepare your filling. Place your softened cream cheese in a mixing bowl and fold in the chicken, shredded cheese, taco seasoning, and black beans. Gently mix to incorporate all of your ingredients.
Next, fill your tortillas. Add 2-3 tablespoons of your filling to the center of each tortilla. Roll your filling into a log shape so that it spans the entire width of your tortilla.
Gently roll your tortilla closed. Use the rest of your filling to repeat this step to assemble all of your flautas or taquitos.
Place your taquitos/flautas in the air fryer basket, seam side down. I would highly suggest a single layer only, as you want the taquitos air frying evenly. Cook them at 375 for 10-12 minutes.
Remove your flautas and serve them as is, or with your favorite dipping sauce! Sour cream or guacamole are our favorites.
- If you choose to use corn tortillas, cover them with a damp kitchen towel to prevent them from breaking when you roll them!
- Store your flautas or taquitos in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat them in the air fryer for 3-4 minutes.
- You can freeze your cooked taquitos or flautas. When you are ready to enjoy them, warm them in the air fryer. You may also microwave them, but the tortillas will soften in the microwave.
- For a low carb option, you can try using a lower carb tortilla. Cooking time may vary however.
- Cooked ground beef will also work and even frozen taquitos!.
- Air fryers do vary, so check it frequently.
Flautas and taquitos are similar in shape and filling. When making flautas, you roll the filling into flour tortillas. With taquitos, you use corn tortillas.
O It should take about 8 minutes at 375 to cook your frozen flautas.
Using a good quality corn tortilla will set the foundation for tasty taquitos. You can also serve them with sour crème, hot sauce, salsa, or adobo mayo for dipping. If you want to make them vegetarian friendly, replace the chicken with shredded jackfruit or a plant based mock meat. You can also use non-dairy cheeses if dairy is a concern. Diced jalapenos add a crave-worthy kick. A little fresh side salad can complement your taquitos nicely.
Looking for more air fryer recipes? Try these tasty recipes:
Tried this air fryer taquitos recipe and love it? Please leave me a comment and rating below. Feel free to also tag me, I love to see your creations and sharing them. For more inspiration follow us on Instagram Or like us on Facebook
Air Fryer Taquitos Recipe
- 2 cups Rotisserie or Pre-Cooked Chicken finely shredded
- 6 oz Cream Cheese softened
- 1 cup Mexican Cheese shredded
- ½ tbsp Taco Seasoning
- ½ cup Black Beans
- 12 Flour or Corn Tortillas
- In a mixing bowl combine the chicken, cream cheese, shredded cheese taco seasoning and black beans. Fold until thoroughly combined.
- Scoop about 2- 3 table spoons of filling into each tortilla. Shape filling into a log shape spanning from one side to the other.
- Roll up filled tortillas and repeat until all the filling is used.
- Place into air fryer basket, seam side down, and bake for 10-12 minutes at 375F.
May also be rewarmed in air fryer for 3-4 minutes
Can be frozen and re air fried or microwaved (the tortillas will soften when microwaved)
If using corn tortillas use a damp hand towel to cover the tortillas so they will soften and not break while roiling.