These healthy chick muffins are moist and tasty. This only has 2-3 tbs. of sugar instead of the cups of sugar most muffins usually have. It's a great alternative to all the sweets during the Easter season!
Easter is jammed pack with so many sweet desserts. You'll get the sweetness in this muffin without the guilt! I've even included a no refined sugar frosting.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Reduced Sugar Instead of cups of sugar in a recipe, this has 2-3 tbs. You can probably even omit it, if you're looking for something less sweet.
- 20 minutes to make - Just a few ingredients and you'll have a tasty muffin
How to Make It
First preheat the oven to 350F. Mash the bananas with a fork until smooth.
Whisk in eggs till incorporated, then add in sugar, milk, vanilla extract, whisk to combine.
Slowly add in butter while whisking. You should have a thick paste. Add in flour, baking powder, salt. Stir till all the flour is hydrated with the paste.
Scoop into muffin liners; or if you are using flexible molds, spray them heavily.
Here's a pro tip for you: Use a cookie scooper! A cookie scooper really does come in handy. Trust me it will save you time and keeps your hands cleaner, when adding the batter into the muffin tin.
Bake at 350F for around 25 minutes(for 3-4 inch muffins, 15 minutes or so for 2 inch ones). Check the doneness by inserting a tooth pick into the center of the cakes. If it comes out clean, the cakes are done. Let them cool before unmolding.
You can serve and eat your muffins now as is. Or add icing (below). For the eyes, i used store bought eye candy. For the arms and feet i cut out shaped carrots, as seen below. I made slits in the cupcake liner to fit in the feet.
If you'd like a healthier frosting. Just dice up some cream cheese, leave it out for about an hour to soften.
Whisk together with honey and vanilla. Add yellow food coloring to achieve a yellow chick color. A little goes a long way, I actually feel 3 drops was too much for this amount of frosting.
Work with a mini offset spatula, or a spoon. Add carrots and eye candy for the faces.
- You can omit the sugar or reduce if you'd like a sugar free experience.
- Use a toothpick to check if cupcake is done.
- Leave out the frosting and it's basically a really tasty banana muffin
- Can you freeze these?
- This recipe is best fresh. There are no preservatives in the recipe, but it can be frozen without the frosting for up to 2 months.
Place in the refrigerator to thaw thoroughly a night before if you want to enjoy them the next day.
- How long will it keep in the fridge?
- You can happily keep them in the fridge for 3 days. Either reheat it in pan for a crispy texture or microwave it for a few seconds
- Can I use all purpose flour instead?
- Cake flour results in a super tender texture and has a good rise. That said if you must, here is the substitution. You'll need all-purpose flour and either arrowroot powder or cornstarch.
Place 1 cup of all-purpose flour in a bowl. Remove 2 tablespoons of ap flour. Add in 2 tablespoons fo cornstarch or arrow root powder. This makes cake flour!
Looking for more muffin recipes? Try these veggie packed Green Monster Muffins or these Broccoli Cheddar Muffins
Tried this recipe and love it? Leave me a comment and rating below. For more inspiration follow us on Instagram Or like us on Facebook
Healthy Chick Muffins
- ½ cup Cake flour
- 2 Ripe Bananas very ripe
- 3 Tablespoon Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tablespoon Butter melted
- 1 Tablespoon+1 tsp Milk
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 stick cream cheese softened
- 2 tbsp honey
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1-2 drops yellow food coloring optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Mash the bananas into paste with a fork. Whisk in eggs till incorporated, then add in sugar, milk, vanilla extract, whisk to combine. Slowly add in butter while whisking. You should have a thick paste.
- Add in flour, baking powder, salt. Stir till all the flour is hydrated with the paste.
- Scoop into muffin liners; or if you are using flexible molds, spray them heavily.
- Bake at 350F for around 25 minutes(for 3-4 inch muffins, 15 minutes or so for 2 inch ones). Check the doneness by inserting a tooth piece into the center of the cakes. If it comes out clean, the cakes are done. Let them cool before unmolding.
- Soften cream cheese by dicing it up and leave it out for 1 hour or so. Whisk together with honey and vanilla. Use a immersion blender for super smooth consistency.
- Add yellow food coloring to achieve a yellow chick color.
Leave a Reply