If you’re as big a pizza lover as our family is, chances are you’re a pretty big Stromboli fan too. But if you’ve never had one, Strombolis are pretty similar to pizza in terms of ingredients, but instead of a flat piece of dough with toppings, strombolis are filled and rolled. This pepperoni stromboli recipe cuts the time in half by using store bought pizza dough! Mom win for sure!
What is a stromboli?
Strombolis are pretty similar to pizza in terms of ingredients, but instead of a flat piece of dough with toppings, strombolis are filled and rolled.
Because of the dough encasing the entirety of the dish, you can fit a bit more filling into a Stromboli than what you might put on your pizza, while still making for a tasty handheld meal or snack. Plus, everything melts together in an ooey gooey center. While the following recipe is pizza flavored, you could also make strombolis with different types of filling, like ham and cheese, for example. The ability to swap flavors so easily makes this dish a favorite!
Why You’ll Love This Easy Stromboli
• Portion Control – One thing that is nice about strombolis is that you can choose to serve it as an entrée, or slice it into smaller rounds and serve it as an appetizer.
• Family Fun – This is a great recipe if you’re looking to get your kids into the kitchen. Kids will love assembling the toppings, just be sure to help them roll it closed, so that they don’t all spill out!
How To Make Pepperoni Stromboli Using Store Bought Pizza Dough
Preheat your oven to 400, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or nonstick spray.
Next, unroll your pizza dough and spread marinara onto the dough.
Then, you’ll want to top marinara with a layer of salami and pepperoni.
Next, start layering your ingredients! Sprinkle mozzarella and fresh greens atop the sauce and meats.
Carefully roll the dough up entirely.
Place Stromboli seam down on the baking sheet and brush the top of the dough with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder and parmesan.
Now all you have to do is let your oven do the work. Bake for 20-22 minutes, until dough is cooked through.
Cut it up in little slices making it the perfect bite sized food!
- Be careful not to overfill your Stromboli with sauce. I like to serve mine with an additional side of marinara for dipping.
- Make mini strombolis with kids by cutting dough in half and letting them top their dough themselves from a topping bar.
- Make this vegetarian by excluding the meats and replacing it with mushrooms and other vegetables!
- Can you freeze this recipe?
o Yes. Freeze for up to 3 months. To thaw, place in oven at 400 and bake until cheese is melted.
- Can you refrigerate this recipe?
o Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Make this easy pepperoni stromboli in less than half an hour!
- 1 ready-made pizza dough
- 1/3 cup marinara
- 6 ounces salami
- 6 ounces pepperoni
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup fresh greens spinach, chard, kale or greens mix
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan
- Optional-Fresh herbs or cheese for garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick spray.
Unroll pie crust and spread a layer of marinara.
Layer salami and pepperoni on top of the marinara base.
Next sprinkle mozzarella and your fresh greens.
Carefully roll up the dough horizontally placing the Stromboli seam down on the prepared baking sheet.
Brush the olive oil along the top and sprinkle with garlic powder and parmesan.
Bake for 20-22 minutes and enjoy.
Can be frozen for up to 3 months. Just place into oven at 400 degrees F and bake like normal. Store in an airtight container on in fridge for a up to 3 days.
If you’re looking for more easy meal ideas, try these: