What is better than lasagna?! It has pasta and cheese – both are two important food groups. The best part for me is that adding veggies to the recipe isn’t just a healthy choice; it also majorly adds to the yum factor. Anytime I can find a way to serve vegetables that is both healthy and delicious, I’m happy. These vegetarian lasagna rolls are a super fun take on a classic favorite!
Another great reason to make this recipe is it is one your kids can help out with. Kids will love assembling their noodles and rolling them up. It can get messy, but so worth it. I mean, can we just talk about things to do at home during holiday breaks? Kids love eating meals they’ve helped create, and anytime I can get my kids to eat their veggies, I call that a win! Even the most opinionated little eaters will love this dish. These are also easy for kids to eat, with no need for cutting or disassembling. Kids can dig right in!
Why This Recipe Works
• Portion Control – I don’t know about you, but I tend to serve myself immodestly sized helpings when it comes to lasagna. Since these noodles are pre-rolled, it is easy to control your portion sizes, as well as to plan and package lunches for the week.
• Super Shrooms – Mushrooms contain antioxidants, and are a great source of vitamin B. These fantastic fungi can be tricky to convince kids to eat, but cheeses and robust sauces compliment them beautifully. This recipe is the perfect way to introduce the healthy veggie to kids and picky eaters.
- Ricotta cheese - is a great filler cheese for the inside of the lasagna. It's light and moist and much more perishable than other harder cheeses
- Egg - this will act as a binder to the dish
- Mushrooms- a tasty addition that packs fiber, protein and antioxidants in every bite.
- Parmesan cheese - this cheese has a hard, gritty texture that is both fruity and nutty.
- Mozzarella cheese - this cheese melts best and tastes great
- Lasagna noodles - You may use ready to bake lasagna or traditional pasta that you boil
- Zucchini- is a summer squash, you can do without it but it's a great addition that is a great hidden veggie.
- Pasta sauce - you can buy this store bought or make your own.
How to Make Vegetarian Lasagna
First, preheat your oven to 375F and spray a medium baking dish. Set aside. Wash veggies and chop mushrooms finely. Mix ricotta cheese and egg in a medium mixing bowl.
Next, stir in ⅓ cup mozzarella, parmesan, and finely chopped mushrooms. Set aside in refrigerator.
In a large pot, cook noodles until slightly underdone, approximately 6-7 minutes. Drain and lay noodles to cool, leaving a little water on them to prevent sticking.
This is a fun way of cutting zucchini. Use a vegetable peeler, shave zucchini, creating long ribbons.
Once noodles have cooled, layer zucchini ribbons atop noodles, covering them from end to end.
After that, spread the filling mixture on noodles. Roll noodles gently.
Then you'll want to spread pasta sauce in baking dish and place lasagna rolls, seam-side down.
Next top with remaining mozzarella and bake for 25 minutes. Broil on high for the last few minutes of cooking time, if you would like to achieve a nice, bubbly finish on the cheese.
Lastly, garnish the vegetable lasagna rolls with fresh parsley and serve.
- Make meal prep fun by creating a noodle-rolling bar. Invite your kids to help assemble their rollups and offer several small dishes of filling options. Some fun options could include: roasted red pepper, pepperoni and sausage crumbles, diced onion, fresh spinach, fresh minced garlic, and more.
- You can use all sorts of mushroom in this recipe. If you’re not sure which is your favorite, white button mushrooms are a great place to start. They are mild in flavor and easy to chop.
This recipe can be frozen for up to 6 months. To reheat, bake at 350 until warmed through, approximately 10 minutes.
Consume within 3-4 days.
Looking for more easy dinner ideas? Try these:
Tried this Vegetarian Lasagna recipe and love it? Please leave me a comment and rating below. Feel free to also tag me, I love to see your creations and sharing them. For more inspiration follow us on Instagram Or like us on Facebook
Vegetarian Lasagna Rolls Recipe
- 1 ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ cup chopped mushrooms
- ⅓ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 lasagna noodles
- 2 medium sized zucchinis
- 24 ounces pasta sauce
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and coat a medium sized baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine ricotta cheese and an egg.
- Stir in mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese and finely chopped mushrooms. Once mixed thoroughly, set aside in refrigerator until ready for use.
- Cook noodles in a large pot until noodles are slightly underdone. Approximately 6-7 minutes. Drain noodles and lay them aside to cool. Leave them a little wet to prevent sticking.
- Next with a vegetable peeler, shave zucchini from one end to the other to create zucchini ribbons.
- When the noodles are cool layer zucchini ribbons among the noodles covering them from end to end.
- Spread refrigerated cheese mushroom filling along top of the layered noodles.
- Roll layered noodles up, placing the seam on the bottom.
- Spread pasta sauce in baking dish and stagger in the lasagna roll ups.
- Top with remaining shredded mozzarella and bake for 25 minutes. For a nice bubbly top, broil on high for a few minutes at the end of cooking time.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve warm.