My son's school recently made pumpkin chocolate chip bread in his online class and of course I wanted to see if I could make into a healthy pumpkin chocolate chip bread instead. I think it turned out great and a little less guilt free!
The combination of pumpkin pie filling flavor and chocolate is such a mouth satisfying experience! This bread has enough pumpkin flavor but isn't overbearing. Next to banana bread, this is pumpkin bread is one of our favorite quick breads. And to top it off your home will smell like fall in an instant!
Why You'll Love This Clean Pumpkin Bread Recipe
Better for Your Ingredients - I've substituted applesauce for oil and honey for sugar.
How to make the Best Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
First, preheat oven to 350F and prepare a loaf pan non-stick cooking spray.
Start by sifting together the dry ingredients, the all purpose flour, baking powder baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt into to a bowl and set aside.
Next, in a separate large bowl combine the wet ingredients until well combined. If you like it sweeter feel free to add ½ cup of sugar. But to me, this is sweet enough.
Once well incorporated, gently fold in the dry mixture, along with the chocolate chips, making sure to not over mix.
Finally, transfer dough to prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until done. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool and enjoy warm or room temperature and enjoy.
- DON'T OVERCOOK THIS - each oven is different, please check this recipe at the 45 minute mark. You want to use a toothpick and poke it in the thickest part of the loaf. If the toothpick inserted comes out clean, it is cooked.
- On a time crunch? Just grease a mini muffin tin and cut the time dramatically. It will probably cook up in about 10-15 minutes (depending on your oven). Even mini loaves will cut the bake time!
- Love nuts? Add walnuts to the batter or on top for a crunchy addition
- I don't have honey, what sweeterners will work?
- Coconut sugar, brown sugar, or regular sugar will work fine. You can also substitute with pure maple syrup.
- Can I substitute all purpose flour with almond flour?
- Yes, you can however almond flour tends to be a little more moist. You can first try a 1:1 subsittute, but be ready to add more almond flour because the batter will be much wetter.
- How many days can this last in the fridge?
- In an air tight container, this bread will last up to 5 days in the fridge. On the counter it is good for about 3 days.
- Can I freeze this bread?
- Yes, you may. It can be frozen for up to three months and defrosted in room temperature.
Looking for more bread or muffin ideas? Try these Pizza Muffins Recipe or Easy Pumpkin Muffins
Tried this Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread and loved it? Leave a comment and rating below. For inspiration follow us on Instagram or like us on Facebook
Healthy Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- 1 ¾ cup Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ cup Canned Pumpkin Puree
- ⅓ cup Honey may sub maple syrup
- 1 tbs Vanilla
- ½ cup Apple Sauce
- ¼ cup Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare a loaf pan non-stick cooking spray.
- Start by sifting together the flour, baking soda and powder, cinnamon, ginger and salt into to a bowl and set aside.
- In a separate larger mixing bowl combine the wet ingredients until well combined.
- Once well incorporated, gently fold in the dry mixture, along with the chocolate chips, making sure to not over mix.
- Transfer dough to prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until done. Let cool and enjoy.
Maybe frozen for up to three months and defrosted at room temperature.
Leave a Reply