Every morning, thinking about what to make for breakfast is top of mind. I’m always looking for healthy high protein ideas to keep me full longer in the am as well as my family. Most days though I’m running late and I’m always driving to the Starbucks drive through or grabbing boxed cereal when in a pinch. But as you might know, that’s not always ideal. Finally, I found a way to meal prep something easy that checked all the boxes, the night before. These microwave scrambled eggs cook in less than 3 minutes. All you need to do is crack some eggs in it, microwave and voila! Best of all the cleanup is a breeze and you can pick and choose what you want in your scramble.
Fast HEALTHY Breakfast choices are limited. Let’s face it, there are really slim pickings when it comes to wholesome fast breakfast choices. Aside from baking complex quiches and casseroles, most are filled with sugar and carbohydrates. This recipe is one hundred percent none of those.
Why You’ll Love This Meal Prep Breakfast Idea
- Protein Rich – Each jar is packed with a ton of protein and very low in carbs depending on what you put in it.
- Veggie Packed and Versatile Mix and match what you want add to your jars to make it your own. I’ve even included an easy kid friendly version below.
- Leave Unattended – While I always advise being close to a microwave while cooking, it’s a lot easier to leave your microwave to go get the kiddos dressed for school or brush your teeth. With a stove, obviously, you can’t leave something cooking and walk away. Sounds inconsequential for some, but to moms, just a few extra minutes to do some tasks helps incredibly.
How to Make Microwave Eggs
First, start by making sure all ingredients are chopped into small pieces and your mason jars are clean and dry.
There are several variations you can make but, I will share a few of my favorites. I would add a 1/4 tsp. of butter to any of these prior to cooking microwave scrambled eggs. To make a Ham Swiss Scramble start by adding 1 tablespoon of mushrooms to 2 jars, then add 1 tablespoons of chopped ham, followed by the shredded cheese. Seal with a lid and store for up to 6 days in fridge.
For an easy Kid Friendly version fill 2 jars with 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese and 1 tablespoon of ham. For an added veggie, try an additional 1 tablespoon of chopped spinach. Seal with a lid and store for up to 6 days.
To make the famous Denver Scramble, layer in 1 tablespoon each of shredded cheese, ham and bell peppers into 2 jars. Seal with a lid and store in fridge for up to 6 days.
When you’re ready to eat a scrambled egg, crack 2 medium eggs or 1 large egg into the jar and give it a good stir. You may also add two tablespoons of milk salt and pepper if desired. I feel like it makes for some fluffy scrambled eggs that way.
Lastly, microwave for 1 minute and thirty seconds, stir and microwave again for another minute. The egg should be cooked, but if it’s still runny continue to cook in thirty second intervals until done. Let the glass jar cool and enjoy!
Cook’s Tips To Make Microwave Scrambled Eggs A Success
- If you prefer well done, cooked vegetables, just sauté them and allow it to cool before adding to the jar.
- If you want rich creamy eggs, you may add small pieces of cream cheese or even cottage cheese to the jar before cooking. You may also add two tablespoons of milk if desired.
- Love herbs? You can add green onions, fresh ground rosemary, or Italian seasonings if you like.
- Some additional topping ideas: salsa, pesto, or hot sauce.
- Cooking times will vary with microwaves, just go slow and once you master your own microwave you’ll know just how much tie it needs.
- If you don’t have mason jar, feel free to use a microwave safe bowl. You can use some cooking spray for even easier cleaning if you are using a bowl that’s hard to clean.
- Are eggs safe to cook in the microwave?
- Yes, you can make sure of doneness by using a food thermometer. It should reach 160F.
- Why do some believe microwaving eggs is bad?
- Experts only advise not to microwave eggs with the shell intact, because it may explode.
- Are cooking eggs in the microwave bad for you?
- Suprisingly, experts say eggs cooked in the microwave may hold the most nutrients. That’s because they believe cooking in the shortest amount of time and using the least amount of liquid is better.
- Can you freeze these?
- Can be frozen for up to 1 months but in plastic air tight bags instead of glass jars. Make sure you don’t add the egg in there.
- How long will it keep in the fridge?
- You can happily keep them in the fridge for about a week, sans the eggs of course
Looking for more breakfast ideas? Try these:
Tried this recipe and love it? Leave me a comment and rating below. Please tag me @charisse.yu as well, I love seeing your creations. For more inspiration follow us on Instagram Or like us on Facebook
Microwaveable Scrambled Eggs Recipe
- 12 Medium Eggs
- 6 8oz Mason or Ball Glass Jars
For Swiss Ham Scramble
- 2 tbs Mushrooms
- 2 tbs Ham
- 2 tbs Swiss Cheese
For Kid Friendly Scramble
- 2 tbs Ham
- 1 tbs Cheese shredded
- 2 tbs spinach leaves optional
For Denver Scramble
- 2 tbs Bell Pepper
- 2 tbs Ham
- 2 tbs cheese
- Start by making sure all ingredients are chopped into small pieces and your mason jars are clean and dry.
- To make the Ham Swiss Scramble start by adding 1 tbs of mushrooms to 2 jars, then add 1 tbs of ham, followed by the cheese. Seal with a lid and store for up to 6 days in fridge.
- For an easy Kid Friendly version fill 2 jars with 1 tbs of shredded cheese and 1 tbs of ham. For an added veggie, try an additional 1 tbs of chopped spinach. Seal with a lid and store for up to 6 days.
- 4.o make the famous Denver Scramble, layer in 1 tbs each of shredded cheese, ham and bell peppers into 2 jars. Seal with a lid and store in fridge for up to 6 days.
- When ready to eat, crack 2 medium eggs or 1 large egg into the jar and give it a good stir. Optional: add a cube of cream cheese or 2 tbs. of milk if desired.
- Microwave for 1 minute and thirty seconds, stir and microwave again for another minute. The egg should be cooked, but if it’s still runny cook in thirty second intervals until done. Let the glass jar cool and enjoy!
Defrost in fridge and microwave in a microwave safe container with an egg per instructions.
Can be refrigerated for up to 6 days, uncooked before adding the egg.
Can use plastic air tight bags and transfer to microwave safe container when cooking with egg.